Vodafone pan-Europe inc UK !!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TayHarley, Jun 12, 2008.

1. TayHarley macrumors member

TayHarley

Just received a call from Vodafone Business reminding me I was out of contract and was eligible for upgrade or cashback. My 'awaiting 3G iPhone and will be leaving on 11th July' response was met with "We've got it pan-Europe from July".

Vodafone are emailing over some info but confirmed they are not allowed to state 'in the UK' just yet . . . pressing the email refresh button every 20 secs :D

Watch this space ..... anyone else heard from Vodafone ???

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd desperately love to believe it....I just don't.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i would love to believe this.. i just hope this is true

4. markym07931 macrumors regular

well....

i was on the phone to t-mobile, asking how much it would be to cancel my contract, stated that it was because of the iphone, and they said, that it would be a "couple of months after" that t-mob would be getting the iphone in the UK..

from apples point of view, the more carriers that have the phone, the better. maybe o2 only have an exclusive for a couple of months..

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I just don't believe it:

(1) Apple are tied in to an exclusive deal with O2.

(2) Even if that exclusive deal did not, by some chance, cover the iPhone 3G, why would Vodafone not be allowed to say anything about it in the UK less than a month before launch day?

Most likely, it is another sales jockey trying to cling on to your business and not being too concerned about spinning yarns!:rolleyes:

6. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

You're almost certainly right. I just hope you're wrong:)

7. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Can't see it. O2 would sue the bollocks of Apple if it is.

8. ripkord macrumors 6502

you really want a phone with vodafone branding all over it?

they are full of crap, just trying desperately to stop you jumping ship.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That would rather depend on the terms of the deal, wouldn't it?

It could be possible that the agreement was full exclusivity of the 1st generation, followed by a short exclusivity of the 2nd, after which it would be released to all.

Long shot, but vaguely possible.

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I too hope that I'm wrong because there is nothing like competition for keeping prices down and getting the very best deal for the consumer.

Monopolies tend not to be benefactors because they have you by the short and curlies! :eek:

11. TayHarley thread starter macrumors member

TayHarley

Still awaiting my Vmail - just mailed a previous Vodafone named contact to prompt them - is a 30 min wait for email to be sent through unreasonable !!???

The guy I spoke to definitely said July - ok perhaps pre-ordering in July to give o2 some scope for sales but, as o2's network stability is questionable and as a vodafone customer since 1995 - that unsolicited phone call will now keep me waiting and away from the o2 store/website until I can confirm it one way or the other. Have I been outsmarted??

He said the 3G iphone would be £250 but on the basis of my price plan it would be £40 to £50 to upgrade on an 18 or 24mth contract.

If an when I get the info - I'll post it.

12. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Actually, thinking about it, there might be a very, very slim possibility that this is true - O2's pricing for the new contracts seems to be pretty aggressive/comeptitive compared with other smartphones they do - maybe they've been forced into that by Apple dealing with other UK carriers?

Still think you're probably right and this is just an "over-eager" salesman.

13. TayHarley thread starter macrumors member

TayHarley

just got this from "Customer Retentions" - the pic of the 3G iphone didn't paste into this format. Emailed them for more info . . . fingers crossed.

#################

BELOW IS WHAT WAS ON OUR INTRANET OTHER DAY. WE WILL BE ABLE TO SOPURCE THE DEVCIE IN JULY (WHETHER IT'S IN STOCK IN UK OR NOT).

10/06/2008
    Apple’s new 3G iPhone available to our customers

Vodafone is to offer Apple’s new 3G iPhone to customers in 10 markets worldwide.

From 16 June, customers in Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey will be able to pre-register for a new iPhone.

Then from the start of July customers in Italy, Greece, Portugal, Australia and New Zealand can buy Apple’s new 3G mobile phone from stores and online and via telesales and independent dealers.

Other markets will follow. Full details of specific launch dates and price plans will be unveiled shortly by individual OpCos.

“We are very excited to be bringing the new 3G iPhone to millions of customers across Europe and EMAPA this summer,” said Arun Sarin.

“Our extensive, high speed and reliable networks will mean customers can enjoy the best internet experience from their new iPhone

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Unfortunately that intranet message has nothing to do with Vodafone UK distributing the iPhone… :eek:

Those are only the countries in which Vodafone is the appointed distributer.

Edit: It seems to be this Newsfeed…

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ crap. No mention of the UK (as expected really) :rolleyes:

16. TayHarley thread starter macrumors member

TayHarley

Yes, the customer retention bod said they can't mention UK .... yet. Didn't say why - but if they can source the phones - would that suggest they can be used in the UK??

I asked how much and how I signed up and this is the response just in ... note the last sentence

####################

I'm gonig to say £50 or so on an 18 month term but won't know for sure till literally day it's released.

Keep my details and we'll liase, i'll send you more info as/when I get it. At least we're going to be doing it now!

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, fingers crossed for something in the next couple of months then.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Keep his details and let us know… but I have a feeling you should look at who you are speaking with…
    customer retention bod
    And they will do anything and say anything.
    Almost as bad as the one's at my gym. :D

19. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Actually that's quite possible. Vodafone had the Nokia N95 8GB as an exclusive for three months or more after all.

20. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

if this is true, voda will definitely get a call from me upgrading on voda, if not, i'll buy the payg version from O2 and unlock etc. whatever it takes for it to work on voda, esp with the mobile internet on voda, the iphone will work perfectly

21. freeman24 Guest

I did actually submit this as a rumor to macrumors some time ago, but i know someone who has been testing the new 3G iPhone for the UK market for Vodaphone... Guess we will just see if its true or not!

22. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

haha what retards working at the call centres, just spoke to a girl, asked her if iPhone 3g coming to vodafone, she said "let me check the magazine" GAWD! then i said, "its obviously not going to be in the magazine when its only available on O2 at the moment" then she said, "well, I don't know much about new phones coming out" so I asked her "do you work in the upgrade or phone department?" and she said "yes". RETARD!:D

23. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

lol when i phoned apple store regent street the yesterday they said the 3g iphone launch was 19th july. I said 'are you sure? your website says 11th july'. She said apple had told them the 19th.

lol :)

24. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

hahaha, I hate it when they get the info wrong especially when they are supposed to know way more than us....seems to be the opposite.

25. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I work for a Vodafone store in London and I have heard NOTHING yet about Vodafone UK selling the iPhone 3G.