Vodafone to announce NZ pricing...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PCMacUser, Jul 6, 2008.

1. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I received an email a few minutes ago from Vodafone NZ saying that their iPhones will start at $199 on a 2 year contract.

The phones will launch in Auckland (Queen St), Wellington (Lambton Quay), and Christchurch (Colombo St) at 00:01 Friday 11th July.

Full pricing details will be on their website tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10am.

vodafone.co.nz/iphone

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Vodafone seems to be the most modest of all carriers till now!

3. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Other Vodafone Stores which will be selling the 3G iPhone on Friday from 9am are in:

* Whangarei
    * Auckland
    * Hamilton
    * Tauranga
    * Rotorua
    * Palmerston North
    * Wellington
    * Nelson
    * Christchurch
    * Queenstown
    * Dunedin

Unfortunately Invercargill is not on the list, so I'll be missing out.

4. lesliegolf macrumors regular

I bounced all over NZ for a few months last year. I think I visited all those stores to recharge my cell card!

5. jordand321 macrumors member

wow that is cheaper than i expected, i just hope the plan is is not to high, guess we will just have to wait until 10am tomorrow to find out, but i am thinking they are going to be high as it is cheaper to buy them here than in the US.

6. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

$199NZ ($150US) for an 8GB is cheaper then the US pricing, that doesn't seem right, does it. The monthly data rate for the two year plan could be a shocker, don't be surprised if they lock you into a min of $100 a month or something crazy like that.

7. bkea macrumors regular

My home town:D. Hmm let me think, 1 vodafone in the plaza and one in downtown. oh and i think 1 on corner of grey and rangitikei street!

8. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

9. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah I think to get the $199 pricing, they'll really be asking a lot per month. At the moment I pay $50 per month, so I'm hoping for a plan around that price point.
    Well, a guy at the Invercargill store said that you could. But he really didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

10. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

I also see that magnum mac in newton is one of the stores that will be selling the iPhone in auckland, since when have they been a Vodafone store?

11. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

Yeah I can't see it being that reasonable.
    I think I'll be calling Magnum Macs in the morning, eh

12. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Magnum Mac is owned by Renaissance, who are of course Apple's distributors in New Zealand. Maybe they cut some kind of deal?

13. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

Just checked vodafones data pricing, $69.95/month is their current highest rate with a 2 year contract. They have a $79.95/month rate with no fixed term. I have to say that reading between the lines of the vodafone email it kinda looks like they might be paving the way for a very specific rate for the iPhone. To be honest I would have preferred to have paid twice as much for the iPhone and have had a choice of what data plan to go on. Maybe that will be the case anyway, we'll know tomorrow I guess. The thing is I'm not really interested in the 3G side of things, I just a phone that works with my mac.

So if they announce that they will be offering a range of plans then I'll be in line for sure :)

14. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I think I'll wait for another week before making a decision. The fact that I won't be able to buy the phone down here has put me off a bit. And they'll probably sell out this weekend which then means I'll have to wait a few more weeks for stock. I suppose I could always drive up to Queenstown or Dunedin for the weekend.

15. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

Don't forget the vodafone store opens at 00:01 on the 11th as well, might be a better option. I love the bit in the email that says that stock is strictly limited, what's that about?

16. PCMacUser thread starter macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The midnight openings are only Akl, Wlgn, and Chch. For me to drive up to Christchurch is about the same as Auckland to Wellington... I think I can hold off. :eek:

Stock is always a huge problem in New Zealand for Apple products. Apple Australia control the stocks that Renaissance have for distribution, and they always prefer the Aussie (their own) market over ours. So I'm guessing we'll just get the scraps.

17. dawnrazor macrumors regular

dawnrazor

Sorry I should have the "vodafone online store" is also open at 00:01, warmer too....