Vodafone uk iPhone 4 needs unlocking for u.s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ragzman, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ragzman macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have an iPhone 4 from the uk that is locked to vodafone but I just moved to NYC and would rather get a prepaid micro sim than get a contract for now. While I am going to be here for a few years it seems pre paid is thewayto go seeing as I already have an iPhone 4. The problem is that I upgraded to ios5 when it arrived and now I'm told that the phone can't be unlocked for use on another carrier, is this true?

Wondering if anyone has any advice on this or what my options might be.

Thanks in advance

2. ckc macrumors regular

Vodafone in the Uk will unlock the phone FOC, but it needs to be active on the Vodafone UK network to do so.

3. tim0409 macrumors regular

I can't imagine why upgrading your firmware would stop your carrier being able to unlock your phone (unless you are not eligible for unlocking but you would need to verify that with Vodafone).

4. ragzman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm that's odd. How would I go about getting it unlocked from vodafone? I'm in the u.s now but I suppose I could send it back home if need be.

My 18 month contract runs out in april 2012, wouldnt know if I should be allowed to unlock it or not but I figured it should be possible. A guy in a shop here told me that with the ios5 upgrade it's impossible to unlock it now, if I hadn't upgraded they could have done for use with a pre paid micro sim?

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

You may still be able to unlock your phone using the Gevey Sim...if Apple is still signing off iOS 4.3.5, which they were earlier this week.

If they are still signing off iOS 4.3.5 installs, you would have to downgrade to iOS 4.3.5, which will downgrade your baseband to 04.10.01. Then you can use the Gevey Sim to unlock the phone and pop in an AT&T or T-mobile sim card and voila!

If you are able to revert back to iOS 4.3.5 but want iOS 5 and keep your unlock, you can do that too. The instructions are available, you know where!

Again, any kind of unofficial unlock for your phone would only be possible if Apple is still signing of iOS 4.3.5.

6. ragzman thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it's exactly that which has changed it seems, the guy in the shop said that something on the apple servers had changed which now would not let you to downgrade from ios5 back to your previous install, I don't know if anyone can confirm this?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They already stopped signing 4.3.5. so he cannot downgrade and unlock with a gevey turbo sim.
    I'd contact Vodafone, if you give them your account info and iphone imei they might be able to unlock it remotely or at least give you details on what you need to do.

8. gooey2k2 macrumors newbie

if you have a contract they will do it free of charge, if it's payg it costs £20 within the first year, free there after. But you said you had a contract so it's no issue.

http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/UnlockCodeRequestForm/

Go there give the details, my iPhone 4 was unlocked within a day.

You don't need to have it actively on vodas network either, all you do is put a new sim in the iPhone (well not new, but one that hasn't been in that phone before) and then on iOS 4 you connect to iTunes and reactivate, or on iOS 5 it re-activates over wifi.