Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hi All,

On pre-order day I ordered an iPhone 6 with Vodafone UK on a 24 month contract. Just wondering, when my contract expires and I upgrade to iPhone 7 (will be as soon as they are available), will Vodafone likely offer me an upgrade discount on the price, or as its a brand new release phone will it be full price for all customers?

Thanks
James

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
May 23, 2010
They won't, they will most likely give you a better deal on your contract but you will still end up paying an upfront cost most likely and over the course of the 24 months still paying more for the phone overall. My advice would be to take the route I have taken and that is to sell your phone for the best possible price and adding the rest to a brand new phone. That way you can get a MUCH cheaper sim only rolling contract. I understand that you may not be in the financial position to do so, but you could just start saving now, you'll only need about £300 put aside : )

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Ahh excellent, was hoping I would get a renewal discount :) I have thought about getting buying the phone separate and could afford it, but I get a 30% discount from Vodafone so its pretty much too good to turn away.

Dreads

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2015
With Vodafone upgrades I used to find it's well worth shopping around for the new phone you want if you find a better deal then ring Vodafone and threaten to leave they in most cases match what you've been offered elsewhere just to make you stay with them....

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
This is the way to go now. Buy an unlocked phone from Apple, then shop around for the best deal for your needs.

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
This is the way to go now. Buy an unlocked phone from Apple, then shop around for the best deal for your needs.

I have been buying my phones from Apple for a number of years.Get a sim only contract from either EE, Vodafone or O2. It really does work out cheaper in the long run. Also they will come totally unlocked.

Reactions: lugworm

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Yeah I have looked at sim only, but I have to go with Vodafone for work, plus I get 30% off from them, so a sim only from Vodafone is like £28 per month, or a contract with an iPhone is like £35 so it's not worth buying them separate

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
Yeah I have looked at sim only, but I have to go with Vodafone for work, plus I get 30% off from them, so a sim only from Vodafone is like £28 per month, or a contract with an iPhone is like £35 so it's not worth buying them separate

My sim only contract with Vodafone is 2GBs, unlimited calls and texts, £17.00 a month.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I know someone who works in Vodafone Retail and I get 30% off line rental via him (friends and family discount).

As Vodafone are one of the few networks in the UK to offer 12 month contracts still I should be paying £65 for my tariff but it's £45/month.

I get unlimited calls, texts and 10GB of data. Also includes Spotify Premium.

But when I upgraded on the pre-order day for the iPhone 6s Plus there was no offers for me as an existing customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.