Vodafone UK now unlocking iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yetanotherdave, Oct 10, 2011.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I haven't seen anything about this anywhere, I've been thinking about switching to Three and wanted to know how the signal strength is at home and at my work, so, on the off chance, I phoned Vodafone customer service,
    I was asked for my number, account password, IMEI, make and model of phone, where I bought it, then the cust service rep said, ok, the forms have gone through, wait up to 4 days, connect to iTunes and check for update.
    I put a three sim in the phone, checked for update, and nothing, then I unplugged the phone and replugged it back in with the three sim phone and it said activation required. Restarted with the vodafone sim, and got the congratulations, iPhone unlocked page!
    I can now swop back and forward between 3 and vodafone whenever I like. I'm really surprised, I thought they would make me wait till the 24 months was up, or just plain say no. I thought until I saw it working they had made a mistake and it wouldn't work!
    Obviously I can't prove this, as iPhone's have been unlocked in the UK since day1, but I've attached a screenshot, showing the unlocked screen in Lion.
    I bought this phone on launch day, and I'm on the iOS5 GM.

Attached Files:

2. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

was the phone still in contract period ?

vodafone have always unlocked payg iPhone 4 and unlock contract iPhone 4 after contract period

rgds

3. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes, I bought it on launch day, 24 month contract, expires approx next July, so about 7 months or so left. No iPhone 4 is out of contract yet, afaik, as weren't they all sold on 24 month deals?

4. Moe UK macrumors regular

I noticed the other day on their forum some folks had got theirs unlocked I submitted a request over the weekend via their site and got a email today to say they had processed my request and I should hear back soon.

I too ma thinking of trying Three.

5. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

it's the unlimited data, and not making you go on the top tier voice plan to get decent data quotas that's luring me in.
    Vodafone want me to go on a 900 minute voice plan to get 1gb of data. I use max 200mins, so this is unsuitable. Their 200 minute plan only has 500mb of data. Currently I am on a £30, 300 mins, unltd txts 1gb plan.

At home I have better reception on three, but my office is underground, so vodafone may well win there, (as they have the contract for my company and have repeater cells in the building)

6. MagnusF macrumors regular

No, there were a few that had 12 montch contracts, like Tesco Mobile.

7. Moe UK macrumors regular

I am with you on the reason to go to Three, Vodafone has been a big disappointment to me, I was on o2 before and found their network far better and more consistent, there are to many places in urban areas where they have little or no data coverage.

They have the contract at my work as well so but hopefully Three might be okay there as they seem to have quite good coverage in the area.

8. allonym macrumors regular

Unlocked my iPhone 4 a couple of months ago. 2 year Vodafone contract from launch day last year. No intention of leaving them (much better coverage than Orange and O2, which I had with my previous iPhones, in rural Norfolk and 3G seems generally more reliable/faster too). Unlocked so I can pass the phone on.

9. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Sorry, I meant just 24 months on Vodafone.

There are just too many dead spots, I was standing directly outside a vodafone shop in central Bristol today and only had GPRS data. But unlimited data is what I'm after, will probably re-activate my spottify account if I have that!
    Whatever problems vodafone have, they are nothing compared to the ordeal that o2 were for me. Constant outages, crap data speeds, no coverage. Awful awful service. Never again.

10. Moe UK macrumors regular

Got my code today no need to sync with iTunes in iOS5 you just put in the new SIM and do a activation over wifi. Shame ou can't just swap SIMs without a net connection.