Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CeeJayCee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 on the 18 month £35 contract with Vodafone UK. I have noticed that my phone has the option to enable tethering - will I get charged for enabling this or will it just come out of my 1GB allowance?

As far as I can see, Vodafone charge £5 for 500mb for tethering (which I've not requested to be activated) so surely I shouldn't be able to enable tethering?

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I have an iPhone 4 on the 18 month £35 contract with Vodafone UK. I have noticed that my phone has the option to enable tethering - will I get charged for enabling this or will it just come out of my 1GB allowance?

As far as I can see, Vodafone charge £5 for 500mb for tethering (which I've not requested to be activated) so surely I shouldn't be able to enable tethering?

Everything you need to know is listed on Voda's iPhone Tethering page. See below.

Tethering

If you want to use your iPhone as a modem to get you online, you can tether it to your laptop or netbook using a USB cable - or wirelessly via Bluetooth. This may mean having to change some of your iPhone's settings or upgrading its software.

How tethering works on your iPhone?

Tethering is charged separately from the 1GB of mobile internet use that you get as part of your pay monthly price plan. As soon as you tether your laptop or netbook to the internet, you'll pay £5 for 500MB that lasts for 30 days. Use more than 500MB in that time and you'll pay £5 for each extra 500MB.

Access via the phone packs

If you think you'll regularly use more than 500MB a month while tethering with your iPhone, get one of our great value Access via the phone packs: £10 a month for 1.5GB £15 a month for 3GB.

These packs aren't for making calls over the internet or sharing data files - and if you go over your limit, you'll pay £5 for each extra 500MB. To add an Access via the phone pack to your pay monthly price plan, call 191 from your iPhone - or visit your nearest Vodafone store.

CeeJayCee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for the reply! I had previously presumed that tethering could not be enabled until the option had been purchased. I realise now that enabling the tethering purchases it. Makes more sense I suppose - less work for vodafone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.