Vodafone UK Wifi Calling

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Risco, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

2. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

3. stusgt67 macrumors regular

stusgt67

Would be a bad move by Vodafone to require the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus. Wi-Fi Calling is supported with the iPhone 5.

4. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Agreed. I hope it's just a mistake, would love to use wifi calling since signal is choppy at my work place :/

5. BadMelonFarmer macrumors 6502

BadMelonFarmer

iPhone 5 support was dropped for WiFi calling, requires 5c upwards.....

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203032

I do seem to remember iPhone 5 being mentioned originally though.

WiFi calling is really dependant on the WiFi connection, so if you are on a sucky slow hotspot it will not work very well.

At home I had to put QOS on my router to help, obviously most hotspot places will not have QOS.

I travel a lot and had hoped that it would help in hotels that have bad signal, problem is that most hotel WiFi is crap.... So it does not really help, unfortunately.

6. stusgt67 macrumors regular

stusgt67

iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C are the same hardware.

7. BadMelonFarmer macrumors 6502

BadMelonFarmer

More or less, but different radio chip though... Not sure if this is why it is not supported anymore

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

nope, not quite. the 5c has slightly better/newer baseband chip, which might make it perform better for wifi calling, and the iphone 5 not quite good enough (to Apple standards). (not defending their decision. i have a 2011 MBA which has the hardware for handoff but apple don't support it officially - have to use a third party tool to activate it)

10. stusgt67 macrumors regular

stusgt67

Actually, it could be! Either way, we shouldn't need the latest iPhone for Wi-Fi Calling!

11. shenfrey macrumors 68000

12. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I'm waiting to hear whether or not WiFi calling will be available for Sim-only plans. It seems I meet the requirements: I am on a pay monthly, Red plan..... just that it's Sim only.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

EE are/were rolling theirs out to the latest iPhones only (at the time), but plan/planned to extend it to older models too. It could be the same case here. Trial run with a limited number of people etc.

14. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I don't think it's the same here. At the time EE did their rollout, only the latest iPhone supported wifi calling.

15. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I'm pretty sure that's not true, because I'm pretty sure the U.S. carrier(s) that supported Wifi Calling from last year also supported 5c and 5s. EE began rolling out earlier this year to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus only. Now they support 5c and 5s too. But not because anything changed on Apple's end, just their own roll out programme moved on to 5c and 5s.

16. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have been checking Twitter and there are a couple of new Samsung phones that will be supported shortly.

Add me to the list waiting for iPhone 6 support. I would be very annoyed with Vodafone if they didn't roll this out further being as it is a service that reduces reliance on their mast infrastructure saving them money.