Vodka lemonade + MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benfilan, Dec 2, 2007.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

aaasaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Spilled a drink on my keyboard, turned it over immediately and disconnected the battery. Dried it out, but now it won't power on. Is it screwed? Will of cost a bomb to fix? Very depressed right now :(

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

How long did you leave it to dry out? Leave it for a few days. You might have fried the logic board, which costs £££

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I've never liked those gel keyboard covers but it's times like these that make you wonder whether the compromise is worth it, I hope it works out!

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    While it won't be covered by Applecare, it might be covered by your home insurance. Worth checking your policy just in case...

5. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

Yeah i thought of that, hopefully it'll be covered :S
    Its working now, but the keyboard is sticky and the screen is fooked. ARGH. :eek:

6. xrevision macrumors newbie

If your lemonade was sweetened, theres a good chance that the sugars have stuck around on your logic board. What we would do at my shop is take apart the computer and give it a thorough cleansing with deionized water or isopropyl alcohol before powering on.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sugar leaves a nasty residue, and the acids in the lemons will corrode the circuits.

Which is the problem with soda, sugars and acids...

My brother dropped a mixed drink on a keyboard and it actually ate through the traces on the 3 plastic layers. Killing it.

8. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

Unfortunately it was non-diet lemonade... It was the only thing available. Major suck. My dad is an electrical engineer, and hes painted a pretty gloomy picture :( he thinks it might be possible to dry the screen out, and clear the gunk from under the keyboard and then it might be better. If not, I think the house insurance is paying for it :/

9. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

You make it sound like you'd rather pay out of your own pocket?

10. zenspeaks macrumors member

Eeks! Get a keyboard cover. They reduce your typing speed by about 25%...but, oh well.

Sorry about that mate... :(

11. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Did nobody ever tell you? Don't drink and surf. :D

12. thies macrumors regular

as those keyboard covers got a mention, what about airflow? It has been my understanding so far that Macbooks pull the air in through the keyboard and the fan pushes the heated air out to the back.

Anyone got experience using these thingies? If so, did you push your macbook before resulting in 80°C CPU temps and have those changed negatively after using a cover?