Voice chat between OSX & Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Aug 15, 2008.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

What would be the best way and why so that a pc (windows xp) and a macbook user, can communicate using voice/chat capabilities over the internet?

2. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I would recommend Skype.

www.skype.com

Simply because it is free (from pc to pc, or in this case, mac to pc). And because it is very user friendly.

3. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i would second skype. such a great program and very easy to use.

4. Ludde macrumors regular

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanx for the contribution, so from what i understand skype is the best option, but why?
    And what might the 2nd or 3rd runner up be, MSN, Trillian, Adium... something else? Just curious!

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

it works on both platforms (windows and mac) equally well. for me it's had crystal clear voice (make sure you both use a headset tho, not built in mics or anything like that) and i haven't had any disconnect problems or anything. and it's free, so there's really reason not to (they only charge for calling a land line that i'm aware of). the chat programs are nice, but they tend to be on different versions between windows and mac so if you aren't on the same platform you might have issues, or might not. it seems to be a crap shoot.

for me there isn't a 2nd or 3rd, but i haven't really tried any others but yahoo voice chat and it sorta worked okay.