Voice Command on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warburg, Aug 25, 2015.

1. warburg macrumors 6502

There is a voice command on iPhone that opens the Google app. Does anyone know what it is? It's similar to the "Hey Siri" command on the Apple Watch.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

"OK Google"? (Although only works if the Google app is running as far as I recall.)

Other than that, as far as actually opening the Google app, perhaps asking Siri to do it?

3. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm afraid that's not it. I read about the command in David Pogue's Missing Manual book on the iPhane, and i was using it, but now I've forgotten what it was.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Just say "Open Google," or "Open the Google app."

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

To what, just the phone when it's lying somewhere? Or do you mean when you have Siri up or some other application?

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

After holding down the home button to bring up Siri. I just meant the Siri command. Did I misunderstand the OP? :(

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If it's plugged into power you can say 'hey siri' if it's not then home button then Siri open google etc

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps I misinterpret it myself, but it sounded to me like the OP was asking about a command to simply bring up Google's voice assistant in a similar way to bringing up Siri--basically when the phone is lying somewhere or even being held just saying some phrase (like "Hey Siri") that would bring up Google's voice assistant.

If it's truly about just opening Google's app using Siri, it's something that I mentioned in my earlier reply, to which the OP responded saying that was not it.

9. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. The command would open Google to the subject of your question. For example, if you asked a question about the aboriginal population of Australia, the Google app would open with posts on that subject

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Per https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2940021 and articles like http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/google-expands-scope-of-ok-google-voice-commands-on-ios-727475 you would have to be in the Google app and use "OK Google" to do what you are talking about.

Other than that, you can start Siri and then ask Siri to either open the Google app (like "Hey Siri, open the Google app") or do a Google search (like "Hey Siri, google aboriginal population of Australia").