Voice Commands and 3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Surely, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I expected some new Voice Commands when 3.1 was released.

I've tried: "What time is it?", but no dice. At the least, I expected that one.

I really like this feature, and was hoping that Apple would expand on the number of commands.

Anyone discover any new VC's?

2. JoshVB macrumors regular

I tried what time is it too!

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I think Apple is still in negotiations with Morris Day so the response to that question would be in the proper voice. :D

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I haven't tried this yet as I am updating my iPhone 3GS at this moment, but OS 3.1 should enable Voice Commands through Bluetooth. I can't wait to test it. :)

6. JoshVB macrumors regular

Yes, and it works as advertised! Nice safety feature for those of us with a 3GS.

JVB

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Can you activate it by holding down the button on the BT headset, or does that part have to be done on the iPhone?

8. JoshVB macrumors regular

I tested it with a Plantronics Bluetooth headset and I was able to briefly press the button on the headset to activate Voice Control.

JVB

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks. I just tested it with my Motorola S305. Pressing the button on it will start/stop music like it used to. I wonder if there are specific BT products that work with this new feature...

10. JoshVB macrumors regular

That I don't know. Believe it or not, I don't really use my iPhone for tunes - I have music on it but never end up listening.

JVB

11. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks anyway. It seems like Voice Control can *officially* only be activated by pressing the Home button on the iPhone. Some BT headsets may be luckier than others, like in your case, though. :)

Anyhow... once I press the Home button to activate Voice Control, then I can speak into my BT headset to give voice commands, so it's better than nothing. :)