Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodypom

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Hi

I'm new here so sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm looking at buying a car stereo with built-in Bluetooth and having a hard time figuring out what it will let me do. With my current setup, I have my iPhone connected to a crusty old cassette player stereo, and a separate Bluetooth speaker on my sun visor. When I press the button on my Bluetooth speaker it activates Voice Control on my iPhone 4 and i can then tell my iPhone what music to play or to skip tracks etc which will then play through the car stereo.

Although I'm 99% sold on a new car stereo, the one thing holding me back is whether I'll still be able to use Voice Control. I understand that I will be able to stream music over Bluetooth and route calls through the stereo speakers, but do most car stereos with Bluetooth built in also allow you to activate and use Voice Control to control the music? I really don't want to have to switch albums by hand.

I guess this is a general question but the unit I'm looking at is the JVC KD-R826BT (the R820 is the equivalent US model, I'm in New Zealand).

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

Steve

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I cannot offer an answer to your question but can tell you that I have a Ford with Sync and bluetooth voice control which worked perfectly with the iPhone 3GS. However, with my new 4S I cannot get the voice command to work through my car. I'm going to stop by my car dealership to see if they can help - perhaps My Sync needs an update to be compatible with Siri?

thaghost

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Winter Garden, FL
I cannot offer an answer to your question but can tell you that I have a Ford with Sync and bluetooth voice control which worked perfectly with the iPhone 3GS. However, with my new 4S I cannot get the voice command to work through my car. I'm going to stop by my car dealership to see if they can help - perhaps My Sync needs an update to be compatible with Siri?

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion with sync and mine works perfectly. You have to press the talk button on your steering wheel.

Chucktownwhat

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2011
I am not sure, Siri does not work in my car. I have a built in factory system that came with the car, works great for phone calls and voice dialing through the car system, but does not work with Siri. I am not sure if there is too much road noise or I just need to be louder. When I press the button to use Siri it turns on my bluetooth in the car and shuts down the stereo, then I talk and it recognizes my speech with the three dots on iMessage, but it always thinks for 20 seconds and shuts down. Hopefully it will work for ya but I just don't think that many systems have been updated for Siri or Voice Control usage.

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I just had the Clarion CX-501 installed in my Jeep Wrangler and I LOVE it. USB front/back for direct iPod/iPhone access and charging, Bluetooth streaming for music/apps to the stereo, aux cable for other devices, and Bluetooth talk which works flawlessly with Siri and phone calls (with a built in front mic).

CX501 is double DIN and is on Amazon for $178, CZ501 is single DIN and is $129.

bloodypom

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Yes, voice control will work over BT. At least it does on my 2 year old JVC.

Ah thank you, that sounds promising since the one I'm looking at is also JVC. How does it work on your model, do you just press the phone button on the stereo and it immediately starts voice control?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.