Voice control may endanger your life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ss957916, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I was driving along in the car enjoying using voice control to play various songs. I said "Play Jack Johnson" and my phone beeped and said "Calling Jan Johnson" - my old boss! Very illegally I was desperately jabbing away at the phone instead of concentrating on the road.

This has happened several times now. As an idea to improve voice control, I'd prefer it if continuing to hold the home button whilst talking allowed the phone to activate a call.

2. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Try : Play artist Jack Johnson

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Funny, but I suggest you learn how to use it before you kill yourself. Or me.

1. You can always cancel a command by saying "No," "Nope," or "Cancel" after the readback of the command.

2. It works better if you say "Play songs by Jack Johnson," or "Play artist Jack Johnson."

Take a look at the sticky in this sub-forum for more specifics.

4. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

What if his old boss was an artist?

5. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

6. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That doesn't work for me. It just keeps dialling.

And amazing how it gets some things repeatedly wrong.

"call joe" always calls Gareth Collier. How does that sous like joe??

7. teiresias macrumors regular

If you're so desperate to not accidentally call your old boss why do you keep them synced into your contact list?

8. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Riiiight. Kind of missing the point but thanks for the input.

This doesn't work for me - does it work for anyone else?

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I can't figure it out either. Once it starts the readback of the command it doesn't seem to accept any further input.

10. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Mine is always trying to call random people.

Even something as simple as "Play The Beatles" leads to a desperate scramble for the cancel call button!

I know it allegedly supports the "UK dialect", but there's a lot of variance in there! I hear it understands Scouse okay...

11. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

It doesn't understand anything I say, I've noticed! When I say "Call 'Dad'" it comes up with "Calling Ange".. How do "Dad" and "Ange" sound the same??

12. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Here's more help for you.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#basics.voice-control

I even bolded some of the parts you seem to be having problems with.

I'm not saying it's perfect, because it's obviously not, but learn to use it before you complain that it doesn't work.

That's because you're supposed to say "play artist The Beatles." Try that. It's a bit counterintuitive, but that makes all the difference.

14. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Ntombi has a point in that if you can`t use it properly or it doesn`t work for you then stop using it in the car! :mad:

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Create nicknames in Contacts and call people that way.

16. freelander macrumors member

I can confirm it does!! Though it doesn't respond to "Calm down, calm down, calm down"!!!!!!

17. retroneo macrumors 6502a

It works surprisingly well for choosing music.

But the one thing I can never get to work is "call Dad". It comes up with "Ant", so I rename "Ant to "Antony" and I try again. Then it gets "Denis".

I've tried UK and US recognition. Can anyone get "call Dad" to work?

18. Odid macrumors regular

Thread title is a little dramatic, don't ya think?

19. bk888 macrumors newbie

"Call Dad" works fine for me. I made a new contact with Dad as the first name, and gave it a single home phone number. I even tried my crappy fake British accent and it worked. I don't have that many contacts, though (20 or so) so it's possible that they're all sufficiently distinct that it doesn't get confused.

Oh and to the others -- "No" "nope" and "cancel" aren't going to work if you only have one number for the contact. The phone will go straight to dialing. I do wish the phone would ask for confirmation before dialing like my old Motorola phone did. That feature saved me from a lot of incorrect calls!

20. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once it starts dialling a number, voice control is no longer active so you can say cancel all you like, nothing will happen.

21. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

As to the canceling of voice control, it's worked for me several times, and it's in the manual, so if it's true that it stops listening if there's only one number, I'm sorry that I didn't have the specifics of when it doesn't work.

---

@ conch575, "Call Dad" works for me.

22. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

How right you are! The user guide/sheet you get with the phone doesn't really make this clear though...

23. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Glad I could help. I think they were trying a bit too hard to make the instructions concise, so there's a lot of confusion.

24. ARK macrumors 6502

Why the heck would you have your old boss in your contacts to begin with? Maybe if you removed them from your phone you wouldn't have that problem.

25. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Yeah it's more like "Your Idiocy may endanger your life".

Learn to use the feature before you complain about it.

Oh and here's a hint...anything you do while driving that distracts you from driving will endanger your life...that includes a perfectly working voice control system, which you now know, Voice Control is not. So you should be taking extra care when using it while driving (I would say don't use it unless you are stopped or at the VERY least, near no other cars). And driving should ALWAYS be your number one priority. I'm not saying I'm perfect...but I try to live up to that priority as much as possible.

And yeah...having a boss in your contacts that makes you freak out like that when they get called...just not smart...