Voice Control Not Working - HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Machoo, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Machoo macrumors member

Ok, my voice control is not working! It did work for quite awhile and then I deleted my Mobile Me account. With that it deleted all my contacts. Don't even get me started on that, it was a nightmare! So, now I have all my contacts back - restored from a previous backup - and now my voice control doesn't work anymore. I use it all the time in the car. Hold the button and say "Call so and so". Badda bing. Now no matter what it only says that the name is not recognized. What can I do?!?!?!?!?!?!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Since you restored your contacts, you might check this.
    I did a copy and paste of this from an older post, so I don't know how valid it is, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

3. Machoo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Well thanks for the tip! I have checked that isn't the problem. All the names are in the corresponding first and last name fields.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Did you try entering a new contact in the phone, (manually) and see if it will call that?

5. Machoo thread starter macrumors member

Ha

Haha. JamesMB that seems so obvious but I didn't think of it!! I will try it and report back!

6. Machoo thread starter macrumors member

Bummer

Ok, the plot thickens. I added a completely new contact making sure that I was using the first and last name fields. Went to use Voice control and it simply said no matches found. Of course I tried it several different times speaking at different tempos to make sure but alas no workie. Any other thoughts?!??!?!?

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It might be time for the old "restore as new".:(

8. Machoo thread starter macrumors member

Ouch. What happenes to my contacts and text messages if I do that? Oh pictures as well? I have never done an "as new". Only a restore from backup.

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would try a restore from backup first..Prolly not gonna fix it though.
    As long as you have your contacts backed up somewhere, you wont lose them.
    Texts will be gone. Make sure that you download all the pictures in your camera roll to your computer, before you restore as new, you can place them in folders and sync them back to your phone later. It's not a good idea to keep a lot of photos in your camera roll anyway, because the camera roll can become corrupted if you do.
    And of course you will have to arrange your apps like you had them, before you resync. All your app data will also be lost.

I have only had to restore as new once, and I took screen-shots of all my settings, the app arrangement, and anything else that I could think of, and downloaded the screen-shots to my computer. Those screen-shots can be a big help when you are setting back up after a restore. The whole thing took me about 3 hours, and it was back just like I had it before the restore, minus the problem I was having.