Voice Control not working on new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoricardo, Jun 24, 2010.

1. yoricardo macrumors member

Having been used to Voice Control on the 3GS, I used it regularly for calling people, playing music, etc and always found it very accurate.

However, the VC on my new iPhone 4 is really dreadful. I realise that it may be a simple fault with my actual phone and a simple replacement may be the only answer - I have a Genius appointment booked for early next week, but the thought occurred to me - has anyone else experienced this and if so, any ideas/suggestions?

It cannot recognise anything I say and gets all commands truly wrong. I have tried resetting it but it makes no difference.

Many thanks

2. computermilk macrumors 6502

Hey i had this problem on my 3Gs actually the first time i got it and i did a full restore NOT from the earlier backup.

Try this, then re sync everything.

Might fix it for you.

3. hatcheeks macrumors member

hatcheeks

ive just iphone 4 from 3g. how do i use voice control? shouldm i have a voice control app?

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Hold down the home button, it'll pop up in a few secs.

5. hatcheeks macrumors member

hatcheeks

6. yoricardo thread starter macrumors member

Voice Control not working on new iPhone 4

Hmmm - this problem seems to get even more baffling.

The problem now seems to be as a result of syncing my MobileMe contacts. I know this for a fact because when I synced my contacts via iTunes, Voice Control was fine. However, I then tried syncing contacts via MobileMe, and that messed up my Voice Control, not just for contacts, but for everything else too.

I have tried the MobileMe Chat Support but they haven't heard of this problem before.

Surely I cannot be the first?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have mobile me and used voice control twice today and it worked great on my i4.

9. yoricardo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply - do you use MM to sync your contacts and not via itunes?

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Yes. I did a bare setup on the i4 and just added all my accounts to it manually. No restore from my 3GS at all.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

voice control is horrible for me

i will say "play incubus" or something and it will say "calling grace".

wtf

12. dwainew macrumors newbie

ios 4 KILLED voice commands

I've used my 3GS since its release. Voice commands worked almost flawlessly. An occasional miss in loud environments, but VERY impressive.

In a loud social environment, I could search for a complicated phrase followed by a call to my wife's mobile to my home numbers, all without error.

After the ios 4 upgrade, voice commands, even in a quiet environment, are useless. "Call Susy" results in "Dialing Costo", "search for population of China" results in "Dialing Costco", "Call Costo" results in "Dialing Wade".

The old Apple SNAFU
    :rolleyes:

13. Despacio macrumors member

I've been messing with the voice command for the first time today and the music selection is AWFUL to say the least. It seems fine on making calls.

14. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I tried voice control for the first time today as well and it's pretty awful for me. It's great at making a call but is horrible when I tell it to play certain music.

I say play enimem and it gives me aerosmith.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup, my Voice Control is terrible at my music commands. I will tell it to play Sade and it gives me U2. It hasn't been accurate at all. The commands to make calls is good though.

I don't use this feature all that much, but I hope a software update remedies it.

16. BKE macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 Voice control is worthless, maybe gets one out of 10 right. On the otherhand the Melodis Dialer works perfectly.

17. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Same, do you have a deep voice... I think thats why mine doesnt work
    PS incubus rocks.

18. TheChasman macrumors newbie

Count me in...

Mine thinks "Call Sue Newport" is "Call Halfords" or "Call Halyards".

"What time is it?" takes 10-15 seconds to say anything.