Voice Control only on iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janstett, Jun 8, 2009.

1. janstett macrumors 65816

Just installed the GM release on my 3G iPhone, and to my chagrin there is no voice control. Should I assume this is going to be a 3GS-only feature? (It sucks if so).

Doubly sucks that early adopters are being locked out of the subsidized upgrades.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You are right, it's only a 3GS feature, which sucks.
    One more reason to upgrade...

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. Yes 3GS
    2. 3G users are not early adopters, more like Johnny come lately. 1st Gen iPhones users get subsidized upgrades.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep - no voice control, Nike+, video recording or full support for new the in-ear 'phones

I thought Nike+ just used the Bluetooth module, so that seems like an artificial restriction as does the lack of voice control and video recording. Guess the 'phones could be a hardware restriction.

5. janstett thread starter macrumors 65816

Well technically I had the 1st gen iPhone and then upgraded to the 3G -- and I'm a developer using my personal phone for development. So I've been a good little wonk who they now apparently don't want to upgrade again until 2010...

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Yep, but we pied for the original outright, so.... really this will be my first subsidized phone.

7. vega07 macrumors 65816

I normally don't vent or get angry...but apple is a B**** for not releasing voice recognition for 3G users.

8. bep207 macrumors 6502

How about how Apple touted the iPhone format as one that is capable of constantly upgrading because there is no buttons and what not.

What happened to that?
    There is no reason the iPhone 3G doesnt have Voice Control. This is not a hardware issue. Heck the video recording is probably not a hardware issue either. I was under the impression when I bought this phone that there would be firmware updates that would make my phone able to take advantage of new technologies that were not dependent on hardware upgrades.

I fully understand not having a compass therefore not being able to take advantage of those new features. I understand that my phone will be slower. But there is no reason Apple should have screwed us 3G owners out of a development that could be included in a firmware update.

Anyone else agree?

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

word.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree its insane

iphone cant do video because of hardware limitatioins??? please. my 5 year old lg phone can do video:rolleyes:

voice recognition? no excuse

nike? no excuse

they just wat to milk us iphone users and try to get us to upgrade mid cycle

so dumb

11. janstett thread starter macrumors 65816

Absolutely. I was trying to think of why they would do this (aside from the obvious of twisting our arms to get the new phone) -- if the voice control daemon could risk pushing the slower CPU in the 3G into the sluggish range, etc. But I have a hard time believing that. Really not happy, I'd love to have voice control without spending $500 on a new phone.

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

It's an even harder pill to swallow given that voice commands (at least on the phone side of things) is something other phone makers have been doing for many, many years. It takes Apple their third phone to offer this and hold it out in front of us like a dangling carrot?

How many people were asking for a compass in their phone? I'd go out on a limb and guess "nobody"...at least until Apple said we needed one.

Faster processor? Yeah that's needed but it sucks that it's being touted as an advantage now when cries about how sluggish the interface on the previous models were just simply dismissed. "The interface speed is fine, the interface speed is fine, oh hey - here's a new phone with a faster interface, you must upgrade now!"

13. mappyman macrumors regular

Voice controls a gimmick anyway. Doubt it would useful, just look at the google mobile app, it can do voice controlled searches and I hardly ever use it. It's just not accurate enough.

14. Streamer macrumors member

So safety is a gimmick!!! Driving along and press the bluetooth button on the earpiece and say "Call Home" is a gimmick!! Trying to find a number or fumble on the touch screen whilst driving...

As others have said, should have been added in the original iPhone. !!

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Voice search can be very useful, especially the ones being decoded remotely.

I use MS's Live Search quite often on WM phones. Accurate, and sure beats typing in the search words. Gives more results than Google Maps, too, which seems to stop at 10.

Now if they only read back the results...

16. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I've had voice dial on other phones before and...maybe used it for the first week.

Talking on cell phones & texting while driving should be illegal anyway...which is when this utility would mostly be used anyway.

17. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

If this is important to you just get the Tom Tom App and a dock, it will do hands free calling for the 3G.

18. Razeus macrumors 601

19. mappyman macrumors regular

Yeah I can just imagine it now.. driving along.. "call home".... "iPhone calling mom sir"... no "call home"..iPhone responds again "calling mom"..... you pick up the phone and end up doing it the old way.

20. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

...and then crash your car into a phone pole and die. THANKS APPLE! lol

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Voice Dial - $4.99 a MONTH MORE

Umm...... I don't know if anyone noticed this yet, but....

"Voice Dial" will cost you an extra $4.99 a month, courtesy of AT&T. :rolleyes:

Link :mad::mad::mad:

22. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

seriously...all us iphone users have done fine without it thus far, why is it such a big deal?
    The most use I could see people get out of this would be while running or exercising...in which case, make your self a 'workout' playlist set to the tempo(s) you'll need.

23. leons macrumors 6502

sounds like the Voice Recognition will be server (ATT) based, not on the phone.

24. Type121 macrumors regular

Voice Dial from AT&T is not the same thing as the voice control on the 3GS. AT&Ts service works the same as the Google Search, as it ships off a recording of what you spoke to be processed by their servers. It's been around for years now, it's not a new product.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The voice dialing he's mentioning is an extra feature that ATT offers. The voice recognition on the iPhone 3GS is phone-based. No extra charge.