Voice Control over Bluetooth headset?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sfditty, Sep 10, 2009.

1. sfditty macrumors regular

Hi, I have the Apple bluetooth headset and I'm unable to use voice control with it. When I hold down the Home button on the iPhone while using the headset, it uses the iPhone speaker and microphone. When I hold down the on/off button on the headset (I read somewhere that this is how to do it), instead of activating Voice Control, it powers the headset off. Holding the button down is the normal way to power down the Apple headset, so I'm not surprised. Has anyone been able to get Voice Control to work with the Apple headset, or is it incompatible with Voice Control? I'm also planning on buying a new headset. Can anyone reccomend one that they can confirm does work with Voice Control?

2. xxshawnxx macrumors member

I'm having the same issue on a Jawbone II headset.

3. iPhoneJoan macrumors newbie

Plantronics Dicovery 925 works fine and dandy with the new voice control. Excellent headset too with charging leather case. Comes in a few different colors. I've had it for about a year now and really happy with the sound both talking and listening. People on the other end have said the quality is very good.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Try a short press, not a long press. This triggers voice control for me with my Jawbone (first gen) headset and my Motorola S9 headphones without any trouble (running 3.1 firmware, of course).

5. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

It works with my in car bluetooth on my 09 Malibu.

6. paulrr macrumors newbie

any luck anyone? cant get it to work with an apple bluetooth, i find it hard to believe they would make their own device incompatible (even if it is discontinued)

7. sfditty thread starter macrumors regular

r6girl had the answer- this works with the Apple headset, and exactly the same with the Plantronics Discovery 925 (which I just bought). With the headset active (i.e. on), hold the button down for a short period and release it right after the tone stops- literally , right AFTER it STOPS. Then you will hear some follow-up tones, followed shortly by some connection static, and then the familiar double-tone from the iphone signaling the Voice Control initialization, and you're in. I believe this may work identically for all headsets (or most), you just need to learn to get the timing right.

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

It may also depend upon how the buttons are designed to work. My Motorola S305 has separate buttons for play/pause and phone call pickup, in which case pressing the phone button briefly will do the trick. No tricky timing issue is involved.

9. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Using a Plantronics as well. Works perfectly. I spend a fair bit of time on the road and this is a terrific addition to the iphone for me

10. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I have both an original jawbone and a PLANTRONICS Voyager 520 and neither seem to work. I have tried saying "phone", or holding the main button for a few seconds and neither activate the voice control. Is there a setting somewhere that will let the VC work with bluetooth?