Voice Control + vehicle hookup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borekk, Jul 18, 2009.

1. borekk macrumors newbie

Just had a quick question on iPhone 3gs functionality in a vehicle.

My stereo has a typical iPod cable coming out...I plug in my iPod/iPhone and the screen changes to that "Accessory connected" screen. I have to control my iPhone via the stereo now (for anything to do with music).

So, does the whole "Voice Control" thing work when the unit is plugged into a car stereo or other device? I just wanted to verify one way or the other as I'm in the market for a new car stereo and would like to know if I need to target my purchase toward something that has voice control versus just being able to use the built-in Voice Control app. Thanks!

2. nitemare macrumors regular

i could be wrong on this but as of right now voice control only works when controlled from the phone. the 3.1 betas allow BT headsets voice control but not sure if that will work through car stereos that are iPhone ready. My Kenwood stereo will control every function of my iPhone right now except voice control. still have to hold the home button on the phone to use it so if you place it in the glove box so anywhere out of reach it doesnt help. hope this helps.

If any one else has more info id like to know as well.

3. The General macrumors 601

I use my iPhone plugged into my Scion tC's iPod thingy. Voice Control works great. Hold the home button, tell it to play an album, and it plays fine. The info on the deck even updates for whatever I told it to play.

So, yes, it works fine plugged into a car stereo.

4. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

That's awesome, however, I think he wants to know if it works for calling.

5. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

It should if it will allow you to change songs like that. I'll try it in my car in a little bit and report back.

6. The General macrumors 601

Hold home button. "Call so and so" ... and the phone calls so and so.

Yes, it works.

7. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Yes it does work but the audio comes from the iPhone during the voice control.

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

That's the only thing I don't like. It will be nice when they update it to work via bluetooth, I won't have to bring the phone closer to my face to use voice control. My phone automatically pairs with my car as soon as I turn it on and all the calls come in over the speakers with a mic mounted on the car ceiling and are controlled with the buttons on my stearing wheel, once they update it, the audio for the voice control should go through the car speakers/mic which would be more convenient.