Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
OK, so forgive me if I'm missing something.

To use voice control on the iPhone 3GS, I push down on the home button for 2 seconds. I tell it to dial a number. It starts to dial the number but when I try to say "no" or "nope" it doesn't stop. At what point can I use those commands (no, nope, cancel)?

So, if I want to listen to a playlist, I simply say "play playlist 1980". The voice control screen goes away and the songs play. Fair enough and pretty slick. But if I want to pause the song, I have to press the home button again and say "pause"??? Every time I want to make a voice command I need to press the home button???

How tedious is this? It seems much quicker and easier just to use the screen.

Yeah I know, it's great when driving and could be great when they enable the bluetooth feature but right now, kind of silly.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't use it while driving but with my headset. So I only use it to voice dial on the few occasions I've done that + the occasional playlist. I use the headset clicker to pause/skip to next song. If you hold the clicker down for 2 seconds, it's the same as holding down the home button. Not helpful for drivers - but if "plugged in" you can avoid the silliness of hitting a button on the phone vs just waking it up/selecting your next course of action

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yup, I'm concerned that they aren't quite ready for Voice Control's full potential. Might have been an early release or my 3GS just can't recognize my own voice. I've given several names and numbers and the thing ends up calling someone in another state here in the USA...:eek::eek::eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.