Voice control when siri is turned off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I turned Siri off and held the home button to see what would happen. I got the old voice control prompt with the blue background. I thought it was all or nothing. Siri or no voice control. Is this new?

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

no you can have siri or the voice control,Ive never used voice control ever though so it doesn't really matter and I doubt it was ever popular

3. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I don't use Siri except to make calls hand free or play a certain artist. But you have to have network connectivity which is a pain. So now I can use voice control

4. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

they've had this functionality since iOS 3, but yes its nice for anyone that doesn't have siri, they can still do certian things like play a certain song or call someone, but they still have to keep that specific format of "call <person's name>"

very robotic voice input

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true. The biggest reason for me not using Siri is the need for a network connection to do anything. Voice control is all offline.

Does anyone have any issues with the need for a network connection with Siri

6. jdsipod macrumors member

I sometimes do with local commands, like playing a song or setting an alarm. Siri could be so much better if they could make it that Siri didn't need a connection to set something on the phone. It is aggravating when I ask it to set an alarm and Siri responds with the whole "I'm really sorry about this". I mean how hard would it be to localize a few commands so that you could use your "personal assistant" without having a network.

7. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Except for offline use you don't gain much by using voice controls. And the only thing I would use Siri for is calling ppl and reading out texts

8. jcorbin, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also just to be clear Siri doesn't take any processing power or anything in the background right?

The only advantage to voice control is offline use. If you can call it an advantage. I tried to play music by a certain artist and it made a call. Point Siri

9. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do I really gain anything by turning Siri off

10. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

Actually u lose something ............................... the "s" in 4s

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I noticed that when I turn siri off, I lose the "voice to text" option in my text messages. I don't like siri and never really use it but I love the speech to text functionality in texts... Why can't I turn siri off but retain the little mic icon on my texts!!!???

12. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a