Voice Control

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by con500, Jun 8, 2009.

1. con500 macrumors regular

This is handy...Examples: “Dial scott forestall”, “play the killers”, “play more songs like this”, “what’s playing now”.

holding home button brings up options that float around the screen for you to say one of the commands

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

What I don't get is, will this work on existing phones, or only the 3GS??

3. con500 thread starter macrumors regular

im pretty sure its a feature of the new 3gs

4. fishepa macrumors regular

Well that sucks.

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yeah, I've been wondering that too. What kind of software restrictions could there possibly be for that? We've been using voice commands with Google Mobile on our 3G's for months. Think they're mean enough to keep this from us just so we'll upgrade?? :rolleyes:

Another thing is the video recording function...why not give that to the 3G's too? I've been recording video on mine for months as well. ;) Sure, the quality wouldn't be as good as it is in the new 3GS, but it'd still be nice to have.

6. Type121 macrumors regular

Processing power limitations. Google Mobile ships an audio file of what you said to their server for processing.

7. fishepa macrumors regular

My old phone over 4 years ago could do voice commands such as dialing.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Same reason the original won't get MMS - marketing.

Get over it or upgrade!

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Or jailbreak.

10. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

i loved my motorola back 1999 with speech recognition!

11. vega07 macrumors 65816

why can't apple release SOME kind of voice recognition software for the old iPhone 3G? it's fully capable...

urgh, freakin' apple. this pisses me off to no end.

12. amoda macrumors 6502a

I'm so ticked off about the voice control being iPhone 3GS only!

Like video being 3GS only, fine. Faster processor, better camera, more ram allowing a more seamless video recording experience? Fine, whatever.

But why can't we have voice control? Processor too slow? Microphone not good enough? Like ugh!

Were I live it's illegal to even touch the phone to answer a call or dial number while driving, even if using a bluetooth headset. This feature would've come in really handy instead of having to park, dial, and continue driving.

If there is a valid reason then fine, it's okay. But I can't think of one other than wanting to limit the potential of the 2G and 3G phones. This is a software update which should be free to ALL iPhone users.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Heck, old Windows Mobile 5 phones with Microsoft Voice Command can also do the "play beatles", "launch internet explorer", "what's my next appointment?" and other such commands (in addition to the usual voice dialing)... with voice readback.

So you would think that any model iPhone could do so.

Still, it's nice to see Apple catching up. Pretty quickly now, too. Competition pays off.

14. vega07 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure someone will find a way to bring that voice recognition app into regular 3G iPhones...!!!!

15. con500 thread starter macrumors regular

Ye i totally agree with you, i mean all these features would have been possible on the 1st generation iphone, :rolleyes: but i get the feeling Apple choose to trickle feed their customers with features here and there, and in the process this seems to keep each new model marketable/desireable....So even if the actual look and feel of the phone stays the same over the years, it would seem they reckon on the loyalty of their customers or diehard apple fans will always create a hype and subsequent demand every time they release new (but the same) models/devices with a few extra features :(

jsut an opinion tho ;)