Voice Dialing on old 3G iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R1PPER, Jun 15, 2009.

1. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Do you think we will get access to voice dialing under 3.0 or is it 3G S specific?

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Its 3G S specific at the moment. Apple are being stubborn :mad: by not allowing it on the 3G considering the Voice Memo app works fine and there are other apps in the App Store that have voice control.

3. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I expect the harware in the 3G is just not upto the job - or at least not to do it to the satisfaction of Apple.

Don't forget that the current apps people typically cite in the discussions on this topic do all the voice recognition server side.

The google app for example just records your voice as a data file, sends it off to google to do the recog. then fires back an answer to what it thought you said.

The 3rd party voice memo apps (reqall, QuickVoice) do the same trick.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That is a very interesting point.

It's easy to say that Apple is just being greedy, but you're right...if it's so easy then why haven't the 3rd party apps done it?

Does anyone know of a program that does this on the phone? There may be one, I'm just not aware of it.

5. R1PPER thread starter macrumors 6502

i think an app would be pointless....you need the everyday simplicity of just holding the home button.

6. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I think Small_White_Car was asking if anyone knew of ANY app that did voice recognition ‘on device’, not that a standalone app might be a 3G substitute for the 3GS voice control