Voice from the well or hole how to?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by hh00008, Aug 19, 2007.

1. hh00008 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm editing a short movie in which I need to make a certain voice to sound like it came from the well in the ground. It is "plainly" recorded so I need to add certain effects to it to make more like echo and distant alike.
    But how do I do it?

I'm editing in Final Cut Pro and so far by appliying echo filters it really didn't help. It simply doesn't sound right.
    Please if anyone can help me how to do it and using what app. I'm pretty stuck.

2. millap macrumors regular

I think one of these products will do what you want. I don't really know that much about audio editing, but you may be able to download a trial app and try it out.

http://www.bias-inc.com/

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

are these echo filters more delay-like or reverb-like? sounds like a tricky effect, i expect you'll have to try a combination of both reverb and delay(s). and probably EQ any/all of the original signal, delay and reverb.

do you have much experience tweaking effects?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

uhhhh... no.

5. hh00008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

I think I'll try with Soundtrack Pro and experiment with effects it has. I'm looking for a really natural sound for this so I hope I'll be able to make it.
    If anyone has a good knowledge of what filters and effects (compressors, limiters, equalizers and so on) I can try with it would be very helpful.

zimv20 thanks man, I'll try with your tips, although I have no experience. I guess that echo filter I used was delay effect in nature but problem was that altogether it didn't sound distant but like it was coming from a well, it actually looked like it was coming directly from speakers if you know what I mean. I need some filter or effect to make it distant and add little bit of echo into it like it is bouncing from the walls.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

when trying to recreate a difficult sound like that, i might do some real-world experimenting first. for example, here i might take something like a wrapping paper tube and have someone speak through it.

it won't exactly recreate a well/hole sound, but in listening to the artifacts (eq, delay lengths, how quickly those delays die, reverb, etc.), it may give me a better idea of how to approach it.

good luck.