Voice Over Recording software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jt2ga65, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

I've got an engagement that I'm trying to come up with the right solution for. I need to record a reading part, and put it over music. The recording part is pretty easy, and the mixing part is also easy, however I have a complication.

I am trying to figure out if there is a way in Garage Band or in Logic Express/Pro to be able to send different outputs to different sets of headphones. I have two tracks, one is the music that I will be overlaying the voice track. The other is the voice track that I will be recording. I need to play the music to the person doing the reading, and I need to be able to monitor both the music and voice recording to another set of headphones as it is being recorded. Any idea if this is possible?

The reason for this is that I want to isolate the reading track from the music, so I can remix the music later, but the person I am doing the recording for insists that she wants to hear the reading over the music at the time of recording. I also think that it would be distracting for the person doing the reading to hear herself through the headphones.

Any thoughts if this is possible? I have two sets of audio outputs on the MBP, so I should be able to deal with this from a hardware point of view, if the software allows for it.

-jt2

2. deej999 macrumors regular

Logic can do this easily. Jus need to send or route output from channels to a Bus (and therefore an Auxilliary channel) and set the output of Aux to a different Output.

You may need an audio interface with at least 4 outputs to send 2 sereo to one output (1-2) and two stereo to another output (3-4).