Voice/Read Aloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Jun 10, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Did i misunderstand something?? I hear a lot of about voice commands on the iphone which is COOL but i do think teh novelty will wear off (except for those with long commutes)

BUT didn't they say that you can get the phone to read back text to you as well?? To me this is WAY more exciting.. But maybe I misunderstood.

I would LOVE to sit in my car and have my iphone read my emails to me.. this way when i get into work, I can sit down and know who to respond to first.. OR have it read a text to me so I can decide whether or not to respond. Now with texts, it WOULD be nice to have voice recognition for responding. but i dont think iwould talk outloud an entire email.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The reading concept sounds better on paper. Have you heard the Mac read anything to you? Select an email and have OS X read it to you, it sounds absolutely dreadful. Not natural at all, so its basically pointless.

3. racers macrumors regular

you're thinking of universal access. I think you have to touch the words for it to read

4. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I dont care if my piece of technology sound like a robot or not. I like robots.. I just want to be able to understand it.. thats all.. and i think that the voice on the macs sound just fine for certain things.. As long as the volume is good and the voice is clear, I am happy.. It doesnt have to sound like my mom reading my an email

I figured that you would have to touch the words.. but the same function as the copy and paste (hold at the begining and end of a sentence) is still easier than reading an entire email while driving.. right?

Just put the phoine in the car holder.. open email, touch the begining and end.. same for texts. Actually.. texts COULD have a small button on the preview that says TAP TO SPEAK and have it just speak the preview.. that would be cool

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

That would be neat, but maybe the phone should stay put away during the drive. If everyone just ignored their phone in the car and focused on driving, we would have less accidents. Especially since the phone is touch screen, you need to look at the device to see what you are doing, thus taking your eyes off the road vs. a phone with physical buttons.

6. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

nice thuoght but it isnt going to happen.. Its just one of those things.. people ALWAYS want to be connected.. Do more with the tiem you have

Ya know.. they made an actual law that theres no TEXTING while driving.. but they NEVER had to make a law that thres no reading a book while driving.. or writing a letter.. its instant contact.. its not going to change.. so just make it easier.. A read aloud text and email function would be nice