VoiceDial is out - but is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by RealEvil, Jul 28, 2008.

1. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am considering buying this app. It allows voice dial via pre-recorded tags (i.e. you assign a voice clip to a contact, launch the app, say the same thing as you said in the clip and bingo...).

But, even if this bit works - which it probably does - can I initiate voice dialing via a bluetooth headset? I guess not... which means to use this app you probably have to launch the app via the iphone every time. Which sucks if you are in a car/have the phone in your pocket.

Has anyone bought it yet?

2. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I just bought it. It works really well for what it is, but like you said does not integrate Bluetooth so you do have to tap the icon. What I am upset about though is that the screenshot in the App Store clearly depicts a Home Button setting in Preferences, but this is not in the app. Maybe in a future update, but it's quite misleading to advertise a feature that isn't present when you're dropping 25 bucks on it.

3. RealEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

Yikes. So in the ad you can double tap the Home button to launch the app?

So when do you think you will use it? Without bluetooth headset integration I cannot see too much point :-(

4. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Well that's what I assume the setting is for. That'd make it very handy.

I'm sure I'll use it while it's on my car mount, much like I do for now. It'll just be easier now to tap once instead of multiple taps.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

If you leave the app running and sleep the iPhone, what state is the program in when you wake the iPhone? Is it ready to listen and respond to a dialing command, or do you have to swipe to unlock the iPhone first?

6. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

You have to swipe to unlock. When you do, it's ready to go again.

7. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

report a problem and ask for a refund - they almost certainly will give u ur money back.

8. Roller macrumors 68020

The reviews (11 the last I checked) are negative, although most were written by people who hadn't used the app and were complaining about the price.

I agree that $25 is a lot for functionality that should have been included with the iPhone. But I might still pay that if Voice Dial lets me make a call in my car by pressing the top button and swiping.

9. Roller macrumors 68020

A few more reviews in the app store this morning, including a couple of positives and more complaints about the price. If people are complaining now, wait until the dev increases the price on August 1, as they've announced. :)

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

$25 for a voice dialling application is insane. The whole iPod Touch 2.0 update was only $10...

If the developer doesn't increase it by a negative amount on August 1st that is going to be a total joke.

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

At that money I'd rather let apple come up with a completely integrated solution or not bother with it

12. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i wasnt even a fan of it when it was free on jailbroken phones.

13. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I agree that $25 is pretty steep, especially compared to what other apps priced lower are offering, but at the same time, I paid $600 for my first iPhone and $300 for this one. I figured spending a bit in the app store to make my "perfect" phone would be fine.