Voicemail as mp3 or other audio format

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shady825, Feb 23, 2009.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont know if this is the right spot for this but here we go...
    I'll start by saying I have some pretty ridiculous friends, especially once it gets to be after 10pm;) They leave me the most outrageous voicemails and I always want to save them to use later in GarageBand or iMovie. Does anyone know a way to get a voice mail message onto my computer?

What I have tried: I dont know what the cable is called but it has 2 headphone jacks on it, one on each end and I tried putting one end in the iphones headphone jack and the other into my 'line in' on the MacBook but no success. Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. jeremykyle macrumors regular

You could always play it through the speaker and record it with your computer. I doubt that this would be good quality wise though.

3. moka macrumors 6502a

if your iphone is Jail Broken you can always SSH into it and grab them from (Var/mobile/library/voicemail)

4. tommyhonda92 macrumors newbie

I don't know what program you were using after connecting your iPhone to your MacBook, but I have done this successfully....mind you it was from the VoiceNotes App, but should work the same. What you do is open GarageBand and record it in there. Your connection is right....just your recording program is perhaps wrong. Select "New Podcast Episode" in GarageBand, then choose "New Track" under the "Track" dropdown, then choose "Real Instrument", and then proceed to record your message by opening it up and playing it. Select the audio levels accordingly as to not have distortion in GarageBand and also on the iPhone itself...this may get tricky a bit as you don't want the signal to be too "hot" going into GarageBand. If you want to, you can delete all the other tracks that were loaded up for you by default when GarageBand starts up, so your left with only your 1 track.

Hope this helps.

5. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

AWESOME! Thank you! I'll have to give that a try! It looks like the step i was missing was the 'podcast' step.
    Thanks again!!

6. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

...or you can use google voice. You can log in via the website and play them from there

7. stewartess, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013

stewartess macrumors newbie

Save Voicemails

Thanks for the info. I had the same question before I get my 4S... :)