voicemail issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Aug 21, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok ive tried searching but couldnt find a definite reason as to why this is happening

my iphone will not receive calls but goes straight to voicemail. why? ive read it may be that 3g is on as well as push but ive tried every combo and no luck

any insight at all? im goin nuts

edit: just got the phone today

2. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

would the fact that my number being ported is still in progress? if so why would i be able to make calls?

3. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I think that yes this is probably the issue here, when you gat a phone and port a number over in theory you have two numbers - the first one is your ported number and the other the new O2/At&T or whatever number for the phone, in theory when the port over is complete you should be able to dial both numbers and it'll get to your phone, just try to think that the porting of your number is more like email redirect, your ported number isn't really the phone number it's a facade which dials to that line, hopefully once the porting over has completed it should work ok, if not get on to customer services ASAP

This is just my opinion, it may be bulls**t but i thought i read this somewhere years ago!

Hope this helps

4. gsbedi macrumors newbie

Just to bring to your attention, the entire AT&T visual voicemail network was having issues yesterday. And yes, sometimes it takes longer for a number to be fully ported over. Make sure your old phone is COMPLETELY off and you are not receiving phone calls on that phone, it really can screw up the port. Just be patient, it won't take longer than 12 hours.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ah crap i am doing the 30 day test drive thing with verizin so i returned the phone but forgot to turn it off when i gave it to them. will this be causing problem for me? or will it eventually resolve itself?

thanks!