Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2015
Evening guys.

Ok so installed latest beta & still no voicemail transcription for me. Now before I start saying " damn you apple & your features not working properly " , do I have to do anything in any settings (can't see any) to get this working , or is it more carrier/country dependant ?

I'm on the EE network in the U.K. & have 6s+

Cheers guys.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
If it's linked to visual voicemail as it probably is then I think only O2 in the U.K. have that facility. No other carrier has it, or has any intention of implementing it. Cost implications I believe.

Last edited:

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
If it's linked to visual voicemail as I probably is then I think only O2 in the U.K. have that facility. No other carrier has it, or has any intention of implementing it. Cost implications I believe.

EE supports visual voicemail but not voicemail transcription in the UK.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014

Really? Well that's come as a genuine shock. Last I looked into it only O2 had it. My assumption was because they were the first carriers of the iPhone and I'd heard a story that it was part of the deal

I wish it was available on all carriers. Seems like such a superior way of doing voicemail. But it seems innovation and progress has pretty much come to a stop for mobile carriers, but they'll continue to hike prices to silly levels. And so is the way with everything :(

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
EE have had visual voicemail for over 2 years but it's not enabled by default. You have to text a number to activate it. Text iPhone visual to 150.

Last edited:

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
It's been a while since I looked into it, but the last time I did all the carriers said "we have no plans to implement it". One of them must have changed their mind. It's not a big enough deal to get me to switch carriers though.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Wow. I've been with O2 since the iPhone 3G so I've had VVM for years, however I thought every carrier had it. I'm shocked to hear otherwise.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I live in Canada Carrier Rogers and got a voicemail last sunday and transcription was kind of working, the person left a message in french but didn't worked quite well...

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Really? Well that's come as a genuine shock. Last I looked into it only O2 had it. My assumption was because they were the first carriers of the iPhone and I'd heard a story that it was part of the deal

I wish it was available on all carriers. Seems like such a superior way of doing voicemail. But it seems innovation and progress has pretty much come to a stop for mobile carriers, but they'll continue to hike prices to silly levels. And so is the way with everything :(

It's cost really, and to some extent I can see why - telephone calls, and even more voicemails, are in decline as more people use other means. Why invest in something that will in all probability be dead in a few years time?

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
The Transcript is working on EE as well now - but I did have to set my SIRI language to US setting. I'm assuming we won't have to do this and can leave as UK when iOS 10 is released.

Preetraj

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
UK
Well it stopped working since then. Not sure if it was due to an updated beta. It still says Transcribing when a voicemail comes in but then that eventually turns to transcription not available. So if I look in my voicemails, only a handful have been transcribed.

Yes, I'm in the UK and on EE

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Has anyone in the UK got transcriptions working or are all the UK carriers behind again?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
is it still 6s onwards only or does it work down to as low as 5 (ie all iphones that run ios 10)?

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Evening guys.

Ok so installed latest beta & still no voicemail transcription for me. Now before I start saying " damn you apple & your features not working properly " , do I have to do anything in any settings (can't see any) to get this working , or is it more carrier/country dependant ?

I'm on the EE network in the U.K. & have 6s+

Cheers guys.

It's US only I believe right now (and iPhone 6s, 6s+, SE)

EE have had visual voicemail for over 2 years but it's not enabled by default. You have to text a number to activate it. Text iPhone visual to 150.

Yes mine is working too on EE with Siri language set to US

Visual Transcript is NOT supported by EE at the moment. There was a question on this, on their forums yeserday and an EE rep confirmed that this currently is not supported by their network in the UK.

richardc1983

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Leeds, UK
I use an app called Hullomail its free and its a visual voicemail where the messages download to your phone. If you pay the subscription they also have a transcription feature. Without this feature its free to use. Check it out.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Here is the forum rep confirming its not supported:

upload_2016-9-15_11-9-23.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.