Voicemail via email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zhenya, Sep 19, 2008.

1. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm wondering what services people are using to get their voicemail via email on their iphones? Preferably while keeping visual voicemail, which is really nice - when I'm on the network. However, I've gotten used to having my home, work, and previous cell phone's email all delivered directly to my inbox, and would prefer not to do without that on my iphone. (I am often overseas and out of cell coverage for long periods of time, and it's nice to still get my voicemail in a timely manner). When I was with verizon I used Callwave, which works fine, but as it takes over your voicemail system entirely, I suspect I'd lose visual voicemail. Any other ideas?

2. MichaelLogan macrumors newbie

I love my Grand Central account, although it isn't fully compatible with iPhone yet. When I miss a call, it gets routed to my GC number, and I get an email and an SMS when the caller leaves a message. The email has hot links to my voicemail number and to the caller's number if available. It also has a "play" button that should simply play the message, but the audio format does not yet play nicely with iPhone. A fix has been promised.

I think this system would preempt rather than complement Visual Voicemail, though. Since I'm unlocked on TMobile, I don't get VV anyway.

3. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

Just an update; I've switched to using Callwave again, and I think I'm going to stick with it. I was one of their early beta testers, so I'm still getting basic functionality for free (although they just removed the text transcription feature, which while nice, isn't worth paying monthly to me). I don't get to use the iPhone's visual voicemail interface, but I do get an email with the voicemail attached as an mp3 immediately, and it plays fine on the phone.

4. dukeofhurl macrumors newbie

youmail.com

I've been using youmail.com for over a year now. You do lose your visual voicemail but you can add a webclip to your springboard to get to their version of visual voicemail. You can pick greetings for your callers so everyone gets their own greeting. You can pick from their "thousands" of choices or record your own. Emails can be sent for every message left with transcription and an mp3 recording. You can also have it send you a text message with the transcription. It's really pretty cool and it's free.

5. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying Youmail right now - looks good so far!

6. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

if someone leaves me a voicemail on youmail, my email gives me their full name, how does it get their full name if I didnt even save their name online?