VoiceOver Utility Won't Shut Up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macmonter, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

I was playing with Finder on my new Mac and discovered the VoiceOver Utility. At first I thought it was pretty neat. I chose Vicki to be my narrator because she sounded more pleasant than that default guy. But after awhile I got tired of her. She started sounding like a nag! I tried to turn her off but I couldn't find any way to deactivate her; i.e, VoiceOver. I tried restart, shutdown and even dragged her to the trash. No Luck! I think throwing her in the trash just got her mad - I swear her tone of voice changed! I eventually found the VoiceOver volume control and set it to its lowest point. I don't hear Vicki now, BUT I KNOW SHE'S STILL THERE!

So, is there a way to shut off VoiceOver other than turning its volume down?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

System Prefs->Universal Access->Seeing

VoiceOver Off

Or just press Apple+F5

3. Macmonter thread starter macrumors regular

Macmonter

Swiftaw, you are swift! You got me the answer just seconds after I posted. I thank you, but I don't think Vicki does!

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have a friend who is blind and has an ancient Dell PC running Windows 98 (!). Last week he asked me to help him with his sound card as it had stopped talking to him. Found out that he had accidentally unplugged the speakers then plugged them into the wrong place on the sound card. Easy fix.

So I started talking to him about the software he uses, it's called JAWS. He said it costs around $800. I was curious about it so I looked to see what the Mac had, and found the VoiceOver. I invited him over and showed him how easily th Mac does VoiceOver without extra software. He was surprised and annoyed that the Mac comes with software for it, and doesn't require an extra $800. I played with it a bit, and it's quite interesting.