Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfossil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to have your mbp nvidia gpu replaced even if the mbp has a voided warranty? I know Apple will do it for out of warranty mbp's...I ask because I am getting the reported video issues, but when I bought the mbp I replaced the HDD thus voiding the warranty. I dont want to get down to the Apple store and find they wont replace it! Also I dont have apple care for obvious reasons as I swapped out the HDD.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

MBP 2.4ghz (mid 08'), 2gb RAM, 320gb HDD, 256mb nvidia 8600GT

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to have your mbp nvidia gpu replaced even if the mbp has a voided warranty? I know Apple will do it for out of warranty mbp's...I ask because I am getting the reported video issues, but when I bought the mbp I replaced the HDD thus voiding the warranty. I dont want to get down to the Apple store and find they wont replace it! Also I dont have apple care for obvious reasons as I swapped out the HDD.

Thanks,

Replacing the Harddrive does not void the warranty, as far as i know.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Replace the upgraded HDD with the original before you bring it in for service. Just make sure to be very careful to not cause any damage to other components. As far as I know upgrading the HDD doesn't void the warranty UNLESS you damage something else during the upgrade.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hi there!

Thanks,

Replacing the hard drive does not void the warranty so long as you did not damage anything else while inside the unit.

Some people replace new drive with the original HDD before sending it in. This serves two purposes.

1.) it puts the machine back to its original state
2.) many times, the depot repair folks will replace the HDD as part of troubleshooting or reinstall the OS. Either way, having your original drive in there is better for you.

Additionally, you can you authorized service centers (most don't) and they don't care at all about add-ons and will proceed with the repair. They just get reimbursed from Apple for warranty work.

Cheers,

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Replacing the Harddrive does not void the warranty, as far as i know.
Replacing the hard drive does not void the warranty so long as you did not damage anything else while inside the unit.
On all MBPs except the newest one just released, replacing the hard drive DOES void both the Apple Limited Warranty and the AppleCare Protection Plan, according to Apple. If you have doubts, call Apple and ask. That's not to say you might not get away with it, especially if you put the original drive back before sending it in for repair. But their official stance is, if they don't offer instructions on how to replace it, it's not intended to be replaced by the user and therefore, the user voids the warranty if they do so.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
On all MBPs except the newest one just released, replacing the hard drive DOES void both the Apple Limited Warranty and the AppleCare Protection Plan, according to Apple. If you have doubts, call Apple and ask. That's not to say you might not get away with it, especially if you put the original drive back before sending it in for repair. But their official stance is, if they don't offer instructions on how to replace it, it's not intended to be replaced by the user and therefore, the user voids the warranty if they do so.

I've worked for companies that have hundreds of Mac users and never have we had an issue with depot repairs (other than the occasional disk replacement in which case you'd lose your new disk - which has happened). We don't mention the upgrade and if time permits we do put the old drive back in but in cases where we didn't have a like drive sitting around, off it went as is. The only thing they asked us to do is to put the original RAM back as bad RAM can cause all sorts of strange problems.

Also, most authorized service centers are fine with it as well.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.