Voided Warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheYankees1903, Jun 16, 2008.

1. TheYankees1903 macrumors regular

This may seem like a stupid question but if my friend sells me his used iPhone that is still under warranty when he sells it does the fact that he is selling it void the warranty?

Please Advise,
    TheYankees1903 :apple:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, it should have no affect AppleCare whatsoever.

3. TheYankees1903 thread starter macrumors regular

Then...

My friend's backlight just flatout died after the battery died and he doesnt even care. He is getting the iPhone 3G and just wants to dump it for a few bucks. Could I buy it and then exchange it at the Apple Store.

How would I go about doing this if it is possible? Must I go to the same Apple Store? Must I use his name? Must I have a sim card in the phone when I go (I am planning on having this device as a test jailbreak device for when I get my iPhone 3G and don't want to sign the contract yet)?

Please Advise,

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

You should be able to do that, especially if you register the phone online prior to going there. I've purchased second hand macs with AppleCare before and I've been able to get repairs on them even though I wasn't the one who originally bought it. I don't see how the iPhone would be any different. All iPhones are under repair warranty right now, so get it done before it expires.

5. TheYankees1903 thread starter macrumors regular

But what if I do not have a sim card when I go in store? Should I just be like... Oh I thought I was supposed to leave it at home can you test it with one of your sim cards to see what I mean?

Also should I call Apple in advance and make a case number and an agreement they will take it before I buy it from my friend?

Please Advise,

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Go to any AT&T store and purchase a SIM card (about $25 or thereabouts), then activate the iPhone via iTunes. AppleCare is $69 for iPhone.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt you'll get some sort of agreement from Apple to fix something or see something sight unseen. However, if this is a legit purchase and you activate the phone then I think things will be ok. Saying "uh, well I left it at home" is well worth a shot, I am sure they'll commend you for your honesty and intelligence. :D