Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lego8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Will putting a Moshi PalmGuard (see here) on my MBP 15" C2D void the AppleCare warranty? Can I ask Apple to keep the PalmGuard on during servicing?

johngardiner

macrumors regular
May 13, 2008
I have the Moshi Palm guard and I almost guarantee it won't void warranty and here's why. Firstly it's just an accessory that goes on top of the laptop and in no way affects the casing or insides of the computer. Secondly it peels off leaving no debri so if you are worried you can just take it off, stick it to something else while your laptop is getting fixed, then put it back on no worries. Hope this helps!

lego8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
No, it won't void your warranty.

However I would highly suggest getting a micro-fiber cloth to place over it to protect the screen as this film you want to use may (or may not) leave permanent marks on your screen (due to chemical byproducts used in its manufacturing process).

You can get one here:
http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

I have that. But I haven't been using it. Do you have first hand knowledge that the PalmGuard is bad for the screen? What are the signs?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have that. But I haven't been using it. Do you have first hand knowledge that the PalmGuard is bad for the screen? What are the signs?

No, I have nothing on my MBP and it is 18 months old. I have no experience with the PalmGuard, but others on this forum have used similar products and those have affected their screens.

You should continue to use the micro-fiber cloth in any case. The keyboard keys come in contact with the screen when the notebook is closed and any oils (from your fingers) or grime on them will leave permanent marks on the screen. If your worried about scratches on the palmrest (like if you wear a lot of jewelry) area, then go ahead with your purchase, but continue to use the micro cloth any time you close the notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.