VoIP App That Keeps AT&T Number?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tkemple, Jun 30, 2010.

1. tkemple macrumors newbie

I'm trying to find a VoIP App that will place (and ideally receive) calls from my AT&T number. That way when I place a call from VoIP my number shows up on the caller ID on the other end.

In the past I used TruPhone and it did exactly this. Now it seems I can't get the App to stay open without crashing. Other options like Line2 and iCall give you a second number, which I don't want.

I'm willing to pay the monthly service charge, just don't want/need the second number. Anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing something with the options that I have mentioned above?

Thanks - tk

2. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Icall didn't give me a new number. I think there's an option for that, if you want a new one or use the current number number

3. ignign0kt macrumors member

I didn't think this was possible. How was the other app capable of this?

4. newagemac macrumors 68020

The Vonage app is a very good VOIP app. I believe it does what you want but I can't remember. I haven't used it in a while.

5. ajones46 macrumors 6502

I really, really like iCall - completely free, doesn't have to be iCall to iCall like skype - however it's not a replacement. You'll have to pay if you want a voicemail box and some other features. The only BIG thing it lacks is speakerphone LOL. I don't know why that feature isn't there, but it isn't. But its fine because my house is very old, I swear it's built out of lead the way it blocks cell reception, but now I have an alternative.

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

just dl'd it and then erased it. icall is not totally free. If you want to receive calls there is a charge

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Could always set your AT&T number to forward to whatever secondary number you get.

9. ignign0kt macrumors member

Doesn't this use your minutes though?

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Don't see why it would. I think call forwarding is a pass-off.

edit: I'm wrong. I guess AT&T does charge airtime. How sweet of them.

11. Tu13es macrumors regular

I think it just uses caller ID spoofing for outgoing calls. I don't think anything can do this with incoming calls.