VOIP Apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Noisemaker, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Noisemaker Guest

What are some good VOIP apps?

Do any at all offer free calling to normal phones?

After playing with FaceTime for several hours now, I'd like to get a VOIP app to make calls to my non-facetime friends/family.

What are my options?

2. Resist macrumors 68030

I tried iCall, but like Whistle Phone the best! Both apps are free.

With Whistle Phone, all you need is Wifi access to make and receive calls. They give you a randomly selected phone number, which can be long distance for some of your callers. But they are planning to update the app soon, so you can get a local number. This app works on the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and your home computer.

3. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

I actually found Whistle Phone a bit earlier - I love it so far!

The only problems I've found are;

-Mic volume seems low? Friends can hear me fine with Facetime, but not with Whistle Phone. Any way to fix that aside from using a set of headphones with a mic?

-There seems to be a 3-5 second delay. Is this normal, or could it have just been my connection? My internet is about 1Mb/s and mobile broadband - so it's got a higher ping time. Could this be the cause, or is a delay like that normal for the app? I had zero delay with Facetime.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Fring works quite well. You make Fring-Fring calls or you can add your SIP provider and use that. There's a little bit of lag during Fring-Fring calls. SIP audio quality could be a bit better, but I'm just pleased it works. Definitely worth a try.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

The problem with Fring is that you need a SIP account to make real phone calls. And Fring to Fring calls are not the same, you might as well use Yahoo Messenger if you're going to use that.

I have had no issues with the mic volume, so I am not sure what your problem is. But a delay issue is due to the speed of your internet connection. I have 10MB downloads and the app works great for me.

6. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

I'll give it a good testing today and see how it works. Maybe it was just the way I was holding the Touch.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I have been using it on my previous iPhone 3G, that doesn't have a cell contract and as I said has been working great.