Voip calling!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

have you guys seen this icall application that is currently being worked on for release with the app store? http://www.icall.com/iphone/ as someone who uses their iphone as a home as well as mobile this could save me soo much money! can't wait for this one!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Interesting, but how far down the road are we talking? Keep us advised. In the meantime, I've been using magicjack.com at $20 per year, it works really well with my BlackBook. :cool:

3. Xcolored macrumors member

iCall was misspelled in the first paragraph. Was spelled iCal. Looks sweet though.

4. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Now if only some nice tech company (Griffin, I'm looking at you) would kindly design an adapter which would allow us to use our iPod touches as VOIP phones. :D

5. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

i live in greenwich, ct. thats so cool, i've been to that starbucks
    that app is great, i would buy it

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Looks like the wife is getting an iPhone now. We can cancel Vonage and drop our cell plan down to a cheaper one. Our new house doesn't pick-up the best AT&T signal so this will be great.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This is a very clever app. It's interesting that it's within what Apple (and their partner AT&T) permit.

The video is hard to listen to. Is that a baby crying in the background or somebody being attacked? Or tickled?

8. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

DO WANT. This is great...wonder how much it will cost? I'm new to the whole VOIP thing. Does it work with Skype? Or does the other person have to use an iPhone with iCall also? I'll assume not?

9. iwantmy3giphone macrumors newbie

This app looks amazing. I would definitely download this for my iphone. Anytime I'm at home, I wouldn't have to burn through my minutes. Awesome looking app.

Is it going to be free to download from the apple app store?

10. matthutch macrumors regular

There would also be horrible latency issues if this was run on EDGE, possibly 3G too.

For use on Wi-Fi it would be awesome

11. Elsewhere macrumors member

I have been waiting for a technology like this for YEARS.

The cell phone companies are going to **** a brick!

Once there is widespread (free or very inexpensive) wireless Internet, why would anyone even think about subscribing to any cell phone service?

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

13. iceman1234 macrumors member

iceman1234

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

This app has great potential. Does the iPhone you use it on need to be unlocked??, because I don't feel comfortable unlocking/jailbreaking my iPhone when I get one after WWDC. :D Besides, I already have ATT, so there is no real bennefit for me to unlock it...

15. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Hole Lee Cowe! OK- I can't wait for the setting "If wifi has 3 bars, auto transfer calls from cell network? (yes or no)

16. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

This will work on the iPhone 2.0 software. It is not a Jailbroken phone. If you read the FAQ at the bottom of the video, it explains that this will be a native app when the iPhone applications are released.

17. miltos macrumors newbie

Yes, but ...

I have to think AT&T would try to stop this app from getting into the app store. The current iPhone plan is a flat rate for a selected number of voice limits. With free VOIP calling I could easily go with the lowest cost plan. This would cut directly into AT&T revenue, and I can't imagine they'll take it lying down. But, no doubt the awesome geniuses out there in the tech community will figure out a way to help us make it all work :)

18. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Why would they care? ATT's profits are not dependent on overages of minutes, and most people do not change their plan. I have thousands of rollover minutes on my phone, yet I do not reduce my plan. I pay every month...

ATT wants these things- they increase usage of their product and of recurring revenue. They do not care if you keep your minutes every month and use this app all the time- rollover minutes were based on this- it's a gimmick- all they care abut is you paying your base plan.

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

In addition to what the person above me said, Steve explicitly stated that WiFi VoIP apps would be allowed.

20. joekun macrumors regular

I was hoping we would see this functionality built-in so that you could move seamlessly between wifi and the AT&T network (like T-Mobile offers), but this is the next best thing. I will definitely buy.

21. winterspan macrumors 65816

AT&T has no say over this. Apple already confirmed that VOIP is fine over WiFi, but they won't allow apps that do it over the cell network. Which is fair to me, otherwise AT&T would no doubt jack up their prices to compensate.

nope.

Already done. The group at TouchMods is awesome. They made a little microphone that can go into the touch dock port which you can use with earbuds. Alternatively, they actually sell wired headsets that go INTO the dock connector and provide both microphone and earbuds. Both are like $50. Check it out!

Mic/headset ordering and info page: http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/touchmic.htm
    TouchMods website: http://touchmods.wordpress.com/

magicjack?? hahah... I HATE those stupid infomercials... Vonage works great for me!

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

"- Transfer inbound calls from a regular cell call to WiFi instantly and seamlessly - save your expensive minutes"

Inbound calls uses your own minutes?

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, as much as I hate Vonage commercials and magicjack.com commercials, I was still able to discern which one ONLY cost $20 per YEAR v. $24.99 a MONTH!:D

24. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yup. All cell calls use both parties' minutes in the US.
    In the UK and other European countries, it costs substantially more for landlines to dial to cell phones. In the US, that's not so. We also get more minutes for less money to make up for it.

That's why SMS is so popular in Europe. Making calls is too expensive.

25. SiCbe macrumors member

So do both phones have to be on a wifi network for this to work? Or can I call my friend who's on a regular cellphone network (like walking out in the street) with iCall using my wifi network?