Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattGTO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Mckinney, Texas
Most of you know that VOIP is coming for iPhone through the App Store, well, why not for the iPod Touch? Its pretty obvious at first. No speaker, no mic. BUT-What if you boght an accessory mic to plug into the dock connector, and then all you would need is regular headphones. ;)

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Thats great but I thought apple made it very clear that their would be no dock extensions for the iTouch series

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
After the March 6th conference Steve asked the media to stay behind for a few minutes for a Q & A session. In it Steve responded to a question asking whether 'VoIP would be allowed to be developed with the SDK?' stating that Apple had no plans to stop development, submission and acceptance of VoIP applications to the App Store as long as they were based through and took advantage of WIFI. Apparently Apple have a contract with AT&T which states that, for the duration of thier contract, Apple cannot introduce conflicting service(s) which would use the EDGE network to operate.

To Quote:

'In a Q&A session after the Apple iPhone Roadmap event on Thursday, Steve Jobs was asked about VOIP applications. Apple will allow them on the W-Fi network. Mr. Jobs and Mr. Schiller answered other questions as well.

"We'll limit them [VOIP apps] over the cellular network but WiFi will be fine," Mr. Jobs said.'

You all heard it from Steve back in March, you just didn't realize it.

R-Fly

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
After the March 6th conference Steve asked the media to stay behind for a few minutes for a Q & A session. In it Steve responded to a question asking whether 'VoIP would be allowed to be developed with the SDK?' stating that Apple had no plans to stop development, submission and acceptance of VoIP applications to the App Store as long as they were based through and took advantage of WIFI. Apparently Apple have a contract with AT&T which states that, for the duration of thier contract, Apple cannot introduce conflicting service(s) which would use the EDGE network to operate.

To Quote:

'In a Q&A session after the Apple iPhone Roadmap event on Thursday, Steve Jobs was asked about VOIP applications. Apple will allow them on the W-Fi network. Mr. Jobs and Mr. Schiller answered other questions as well.

"We'll limit them [VOIP apps] over the cellular network but WiFi will be fine," Mr. Jobs said.'

You all heard it from Steve back in March, you just didn't realize it.

R-Fly
If you were to read the rest of the Q&A, though, you would find that he also said that access to 3rd party accessories on the dock connector would not be allowed. And if that's not allowed, I'd reckon that it'd be sorta hard to make a mic work for VoIP.

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

MattGTO said:
Most of you know that VOIP is coming for iPhone through the App Store, well, why not for the iPod Touch? Its pretty obvious at first. No speaker, no mic. BUT-What if you boght an accessory mic to plug into the dock connector, and then all you would need is regular headphones. ;)

Do a quick search on google or youtube and you will find this has already been done, I believe. Try "using iPod touch as a phone" for search. Sorry that I can't post direct links, but I'm posting with my Touch with no copy/paste.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
It doesn't matter how many mic mods you can find, fact is that it won't be an official app as access to anything on the dock connector will NOT be allowed in SDK apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.