VOIP for iPod Touch Idea

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MattGTO, Jun 7, 2008.

1. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

Most of you know that VOIP is coming for iPhone through the App Store, well, why not for the iPod Touch? Its pretty obvious at first. No speaker, no mic. BUT-What if you boght an accessory mic to plug into the dock connector, and then all you would need is regular headphones. ;)

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Thats great but I thought apple made it very clear that their would be no dock extensions for the iTouch series

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Access to accessories using the dock connector won't be allowed, making this pointless. They've covered the loopholes, don't worry.

4. iceman1234 macrumors member

iceman1234

Apple would surely not allow people to stop feeding AT&T:cool:

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

After the March 6th conference Steve asked the media to stay behind for a few minutes for a Q & A session. In it Steve responded to a question asking whether 'VoIP would be allowed to be developed with the SDK?' stating that Apple had no plans to stop development, submission and acceptance of VoIP applications to the App Store as long as they were based through and took advantage of WIFI. Apparently Apple have a contract with AT&T which states that, for the duration of thier contract, Apple cannot introduce conflicting service(s) which would use the EDGE network to operate.

To Quote:

'In a Q&A session after the Apple iPhone Roadmap event on Thursday, Steve Jobs was asked about VOIP applications. Apple will allow them on the W-Fi network. Mr. Jobs and Mr. Schiller answered other questions as well.

"We'll limit them [VOIP apps] over the cellular network but WiFi will be fine," Mr. Jobs said.'

You all heard it from Steve back in March, you just didn't realize it.

R-Fly

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you were to read the rest of the Q&A, though, you would find that he also said that access to 3rd party accessories on the dock connector would not be allowed. And if that's not allowed, I'd reckon that it'd be sorta hard to make a mic work for VoIP.

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

how does this really affect att. you would still need a cell phone.

8. cakbar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Do a quick search on google or youtube and you will find this has already been done, I believe. Try "using iPod touch as a phone" for search. Sorry that I can't post direct links, but I'm posting with my Touch with no copy/paste.

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

It doesn't matter how many mic mods you can find, fact is that it won't be an official app as access to anything on the dock connector will NOT be allowed in SDK apps.

11. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Until they jailbreak the latest firmware....

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Which completely defeats the purpose of developing an official app... They're not gonna allow an app that needs a mic onto your device. And most developers won't be supporting jailbroken devices, either.

13. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Even vNotes?

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes...