VOIP "Icall" coming!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bubbagumpshrimp, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

According to to this article:rolleyes:

"ICall Inc.'s planned iPhone application is still in beta testing. Like Truphone's app, it will use wifi links to access the VoIP network. A unique feature is the app's ability to switch from a cellular call to a wifi call without interrupting the conversation. ICall claims that such transfers will happen "seamlessly." CEO Arlo Gilbert said that the application should be available in early August 2008."

I should also note that they wont charge for calls like Truphone's

http://www.voip-news.com/feature/iphone-voip-apps-roundup-071708/
    Edit: The article discusses other VoIP options too.

Here's the website:
    http://icall.com/iphone/

I just hope Apple lets them through.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

"iCall" Ugh. Original?

Still, it's VOiP, so I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the info.

R-Fly

3. tacoman667 macrumors regular

Anyone hear any updates on this application? This is a HUGE reason I wanted to upgrade to the 3G iPhone, well, at least it is up there with 3G.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

They won't charge for calls? I don't believe that..

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

i miss fring already, only been on 2.0 for 36 hours ;)

6. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

For their PC version of iCall, I think they charge $3 a month for the service, which is pretty damn reasonable. It's the equivalent of 30 minutes on Truphone, or 15 minutes on AT&T's "discount" long distance plan.

7. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

8. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I tried the PC version last night. They don't charge a single cent for calls made within the U.S. Doesn't matter if it's to another iCall client, to a landline phone, or to a cell phone. I don't get how they can do this - somewhere along the way, SOMEONE has to pay for that call to "hop off" the IP network and onto the cell/landline network.

fake edit: I just found this on their website, explaining how it can be free:

What I still don't get is how it could possibly be free to seamlessly switch the call from the cell network to wifi. Wouldn't the cell provider have to be involved in that?

9. TJB627 macrumors newbie

I have been following this program as well. Have not seen any info about when it will be up in the App Store though :(

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think the app wil be free, and you have to pay montly or yearly just like skype.

11. bubbagumpshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I believe it will be the other way around because it's advertised as "free wifi phone calls". I also have tried their service on my computer and as stated above it's free unless u buy icall pro.