VOIP on Lockscreen

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by ILowry82, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ILowry82 macrumors regular

ios 10 was supposed to integrate VOIP and make it look just like another call. Through 5 betas I have not seen it. Is there a setting I'm missing?

2. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

3. filipe.esposito macrumors member

filipe.esposito

Developers need to adopt the new API into their apps, but Apple will only let them release apps for iOS 10 with the final release in September. WhatsApp has already released a beta version of the app with this API.

Attached Files:

4. aplnub macrumors regular

Does anyone know if this will keep normal phone calls from killing the VoIP calls? When talking on Signal, etc., any phone call that comes in kills my Signal call. Even when I place the phone on DND.

5. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

This is unclear. I would hope the engineers at Apple would have thought of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if cellular calls interrupt VOIP

6. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I posted to a Google forum about Hangouts cutting out with cell calls and whether a fix might be coming for iOS 10. The generic non-comittal reply was "I will pass this along to the team. Hopefully this can get resolved in a future update"

7. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Yeah great response... But it might not be the 3rd party's fault. If the OS overrides all VOIP apps and there is no option for the developer to make the VOIP call primary then this will happen.

8. aplnub macrumors regular

I believe this is Apple's fault. Today, an alarm I had set for 2:30pm, killed my VoIP call. I just ported my Google Voice number out to Line2 and have my hopes and dreams set on Apple coming through and Line2 getting the app inline if keeping a phone call from killing a VoIP call is indeed in the cards. I agree with the earlier poster who said they hope the Apple engineers thought of this. No doubt they did but would they act on it. It has come to the point for me dropping the phone number entirely would be ok. Unfortunately, several apps I use need a phone number. Signal being one of the apps that insists on a phone number.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 30, 2016 ---
    I saw that post today I believe and gave you a +1.