VoIP on the iPhone 3g to make free calls

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by copperz, Nov 29, 2008.

1. copperz macrumors member

copperz

I checked cydia and installer and they have apps that alow you to use VoIP. But there is a downside, you need to buy your minites from that particuler app and use their service. I wanted to know if anyone is aware if there is an app that lets you use your own service tht you already have. I have siptalk.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Digg says fring works with sip and it is in the app store. Is that what you are talking about?

3. copperz thread starter macrumors member

copperz

Fring..not sure if it works with my provider though, there is also siax but you have to pay for it.

4. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

I'm pretty sure that they are talking about the voip over 3g package in cydia. From what I understand it tricks your phone into thinking its on wi-fi when its actually on 3g. Then you can make voip calls on 3g.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I like Fring, but wish it would work over 3G.

On another note, I'm sick and tired of paying AT&T a ton of cash for 3G each month but most solid apps require WiFi. We pay for 3G and we should be able to use 3G for programs like Fring and Joost.

6. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Bah, I was so hoping to utilize VOIP as it would save on paying £god knows what a month" on PAYG. :(

Wow , I pay £10 to activate my iphone and I get 1 years free unlimited internet access over 3G + 500 mins free on o2 pay as you go.

Then after that year is up I pay £10 a month credit top up and I get 500 free mins & unlimited internet access

But yeah, we should be able to have free VOIP :mad:

7. copperz thread starter macrumors member

copperz

So i just tried fring.. no go.. wont work with my provider(just says that my password is incorrect)... It doesnt have an outgoing proxy option so i think thats why. Also gave siax a try and it dosnt even tell me anything like cant conect or anyother error.

While ago i used touchmods on my ipod to try VoIP and it work. Now touchmods is only for 1.1.4 ipods. And i have the 2.2 3G Iphone.

8. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Ahh that sucks, I was going to try Fring today as well, I won't bother now.

9. copperz thread starter macrumors member

copperz

10. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I like fring except for the horrible delay... especially in skype calls (Sinces phone calls go to frings servers first =( ) Other then that, I make calls over 3g once in a while because of the 3-4 sec. lag. Its not a practical solution yet.

11. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

truphone is the only one I found worthwhile...it actually works OK, but prices area bit high...cydia SIP lagged up the wazoo and echo and everything sounded clangy.

sigh, my BB curve could use wifi to call out and receive calls at no charge to me, or use my minutes.

The phone just knew that if it was connected to wifi to receive calls through that and send calls.

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

VOIPOver3G is made to work with only the few programs that the author has selected.

I remember reading in the info though, if you want to add a different app to it, you can simply alter the code with a text editer.

Just hack the hack. :)

13. Thomsbly macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm using PennyTalk’s for international calling.Simple free download in your iPhone and make FREE calls to India from the UK and talk for as long as you want, as often as you want within the special promotional hours.

14. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Talkatone lets you make free voip calls with your google voice number.
    Gv connect now integrates talkatone + their usual texting but it costs $3