VoIP Ooma Telo with Airport Extreme? Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aznboi91, Dec 7, 2012.

1. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm considering to buy a Ooma Telo and an Airport Extreme Base Station because I don't want to shell out 25$ per month for unused landline...

Have you guys ever tried this kind of setup? Any issues or problems?
    Or is there a better setup?

I also looked at NetTalk Duo. Anybody recommend this?

Thanks guys!

2. CtotheP macrumors regular

I have an AirPort Extreme and ooma. My setup goes comcast cable modem -> AirPort Extreme -> ooma. Works great, some choppiness if I'm downloading a lot on the imputed, but not a big deal

3. bsbeamer macrumors 6502

Curious if you have solved anything with QoS and the Apple Extreme. Been considering purchasing as an upgrade to my older Linksys router, but really don't want to put into bridge mode. Current setup is cable modem > router > Ooma and would like to keep that. Have had a few several second dropouts (without disconnected calls) on existing setup, but think those are due to small spikes in Comcast cable internet. Overall service is great and price is fantastic.

4. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Somewhat similar question. I have an Airport Extreme set up by my computer, backup drives, printer, etc...upstairs. I would like to get an Ooma Telo for downstairs. I know they sell a wireless adapter so that you don't have to tether it to your computer area. I am wondering if it makes more sense to get an airport express in the kitchen to extend a stronger signal to the Ooma. Or am I completely misunderstanding the use of these routers?

5. CtotheP macrumors regular

I actually changed up my setting in the last week. Since the Extreme doesn't have QoS settings you could change, I put the Ooma first. It's been great so far. Now my setup goes Cable Modem -> Ooma -> Extreme.

I'm also thinking about relocating my Extreme to upstairs where I have all of my Computers because I work at home w/ a Cisco Soft IP Phone, and people on the other end have been complaining of it's choppiness (over wireless). I'm not sure how the Ooma would work over wireless, but it's worth a shot. Just try hooking it up and see what happens!

6. sumit12690 macrumors newbie

i am using this.. and this is really good and hve no problem with it ever..