Voip phone?

fromalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
hasselt : Belgium : Europe
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased my first Mac ever, a macbook. So I'm still totally new to the mac scene, I am however an experianced pc user and about to widen my horizon :D .

I've been looking for a voip phone, philips has some decent models but none of these have mac support? Does anyone emlse know a good voip phone for mac and skype. If possible it should be wireless to :eek:

Thanks in advance

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
fromalk said:
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased my first Mac ever, a macbook. So I'm still totally new to the mac scene, I am however an experianced pc user and about to widen my horizon :D .

I've been looking for a voip phone, philips has some decent models but none of these have mac support? Does anyone emlse know a good voip phone for mac and skype. If possible it should be wireless to :eek:

Thanks in advance
I have a wired one from www.ipevo.com. Works fine, but probably not exactly what you're looking for.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
There's at least one on the Apple store site, seems to get good reviews.
They should be in the Audio/speakers section.

Ed

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I *think* the DS Lite works as a VoIP phone. Not to mention, its a DS Lite, which gives it an added benefit of being awesome.

fromalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
hasselt : Belgium : Europe
There are some interesting phones posted here, however I'm just wondering how can you call a skype contact if you have no display to select between all of your contacts?

Don't want to come over as a noob but I have no experiance what so ever with this :p

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
fromalk said:
There are some interesting phones posted here, however I'm just wondering how can you call a skype contact if you have no display to select between all of your contacts?

Don't want to come over as a noob but I have no experiance what so ever with this :p
In order to call contacts when using an ordinary phone and SKYMACMATE all you need to do is rename your contacts in SKYPE and prefix them with a unique number e.g.

12 FRED BLOGGS
13 SUE BLOGGS

To call FRED BLOGGS all you have to do is enter *12# on the phone (I usually program these into my cordless phone). To dial a landline or mobile number just enter * then the telephone number, followed by a #.
I dont have to go anywhere near my MAC MINI. :D

This document on SKYMACMATE may explain all

http://www.yealink.com/en/download/User%20manual%20for%20USB%20Adaptor(MAC%20OS%20X)%20V1.0.pdf

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
x86isslow said:
I *think* the DS Lite works as a VoIP phone. Not to mention, its a DS Lite, which gives it an added benefit of being awesome.
Is this possible? It would rock if it would work.