Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I was looking on app store for free calling over the internet and i saw that many of these apps needs a voIP or SIP provider in order to use them... What is that ? and is there any of these providers that offer free services ??

I found that i can provide myself a VoIP service ( with a Cisco voIP device or something). Is there anyone here who actually know a lot about this ?

If i understand correctly, this cisco device is plugged into your home phone line and your internet modem. When you use your iphone to call, it uses your 3g to contact your modem then your voIP cisco box and then use your home line. Is that correct ?? If yes, why nobody does that since its like free calls...

Thanks for reading

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
This leads me to another question, actually!

I have a VoIP service for my home phone (Phone Power). I know they make a "softphone" program for Windows machines that allows you to make calls from anywhere you have an Internet connection, using your assigned home phone number and their service.

But that led me to think, "Is there a way to run one of these SIP gateways on my home broadband connection so the right VoIP app on my iPad or iPhone could go through it to use my Phone Power VoIP service too?"

I emailed technical support at Phone Power one time, asking about this, but got no response. (I'm sure they don't want to even begin to try to support a configuration like that, if it's even possible to make it work.)

I saw the "Whisper" program on my iPad lets you configure it for a "generic SIP gateway" where all it seems to want is an IP address and username..... So could that be part of the solution to this, or am I totally looking at the wrong thing here??

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
I have a VoIP service for my home phone (Phone Power). I know they make a "softphone" program for Windows machines that allows you to make calls from anywhere you have an Internet connection, using your assigned home phone number and their service.

But that led me to think, "Is there a way to run one of these SIP gateways on my home broadband connection so the right VoIP app on my iPad or iPhone could go through it to use my Phone Power VoIP service too?"

I emailed technical support at Phone Power one time, asking about this, but got no response. (I'm sure they don't want to even begin to try to support a configuration like that, if it's even possible to make it work.)

I saw the "Whisper" program on my iPad lets you configure it for a "generic SIP gateway" where all it seems to want is an IP address and username..... So could that be part of the solution to this, or am I totally looking at the wrong thing here??

I have phonepower too and did some research on this. i could not find any iphone software that would work. I use Bria for another ip based phone system i managed and it works great. Unless phonepower is willing to give up all the proper settings i think we are SOL for now. hopefully they will come up with something in the future,you would think they would encourage people to use the service especially if you are on a limited minutes plan like i am.(i only use it for voicemail)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.