Voip without use minutes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fleon85, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Fleon85 macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon, right now I have unlimited minutes ($69.99) I want to save using Voip but I read it uses your regular minutes. Which application can I use in order to use Voip free without use my minutes (my next plan will be 450 minutes $39.99)
    Thank you

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

On AT&T, Skype uses the data connection. If you have a good data package, try that.

3. Fleon85 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for reply, I have unlimited data

4. Fleon85 thread starter macrumors member

I have already skype and google voice on my phone, I receive a lot of call from europe I have my family and friends over there, then I want to receive call using data.

5. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Download Talkatone. It's a free app that allows you to use voip with a Google Voice account allowing you to receive/make calls over WiFi or 3G.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

So what's the problem? Use Skype.

7. Fleon85 thread starter macrumors member

Does talktone use minutes or only data?

8. dickdaney macrumors regular

Talkatone uses data only. Both the GV Mobile +, and GV Connect apps can make calls using talkatone. You have to have talkatone installed on the phone, but once its installed you can place the call from gv mobile +, or gv connect and never have to open the talkatone app.

9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

The talkatone app can also place and receive calls on its own without needing to use GV Mobile + or GV Connect. It can also handle SMSs from your google voice account. It's an excellent all-in-one option if your data network is half decent and the quality is pretty darn good.

10. dickdaney macrumors regular

I prefer the gv mobile + interface. just letting the OP know that he doesn't have to use multiple apps of google voice, if he has one of there other two apps installed.

In regards to network quality, do you (or anyone) know the min data speed needed to support talkatone calls. Talkatone lists their standard compression at 16kbps. Can you realistically make calls at verizon's 1xrtt data speeds?

11. wvphysics macrumors regular

People use VoiP apps on ipods and wi0fi networks, so I am gonna guess you can do it without using minutes, only data.

12. Fleon85 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have been using talktone and skype and the audio quality is pretty good