VoIPs: Vonage vs. Asterisk, Skype & Gizmo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thespiderprince, Apr 10, 2007.

1. thespiderprince macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have had Vonage for my personal residence for a little over two years now. I would like to change over to one of the other–less expensive–VoIPs and just try to get a grasp on the technology. Does anyone have any preferences on VoIPs.

I have watched my Vonage bill climb from the initial $25.00 up to $29.00. Not an overly dramatic jump but still irks one a bit. When I told them I was in the MBA program at UNLV and that we were investigating telecommunications fraud they promptly sent me a breakdown of the charges by email. In any case, I'm all about saving money and am deperately–yes desperately–trying to keep up with the changing technology so any and all info exchanges would be appreciated.

Also, as I experiment with some of the VoIPs I will give you the heads up on what works and what does not and how much of a pain in the #$% any given package may be.

Thanks

August

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've had SunRocket for about a year now and they're SUPER cheap and I haven't had any problems.

I've seen them as low as $120 for 2 years of service...!

3. bsolomonny macrumors regular

sunrocket as long as you don't need efficient customer service. You can get it for about 100/ year if you wait for a buy one year and get the second free sales ...they happen pretty often. The customer service is very accommodating but you may have to call up two, three or four time to get them to do something right. Took me a year to get them to change my account name and address and to correct a billing problem. But you can get them to give you amazon $$$ if they continue to screw up.