voltage converter or adaptor for korea???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikedurkee, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mikedurkee macrumors newbie

Okay, i just moved to south korea and i brought my macbook pro. my problem is that i started to use a voltage converter/adaptor to plug in my computer but it only stayed on for a little while and then it started to burn...i could smell it...the other day it (the converter/adaptor) blew up...it popped and then smoked..my laptop was fine though...
    no the adaptor on my macbook pro cord says that its 100-240v and ive read everywhere that you need a 110-240v adaptor for the macbook pro... i have an adaptor that i bought from radioshack and people tell me that its fine to use that...i just dont wanna blow up my computer....ill probably cry if that happens... i dont know what to do...
    does anyone know what to do?
    also i must mention that my original voltage converter was old. i got it from a friend and it looked like it was from the 80's....
    HELP!

2. ebayhelp macrumors member

OMG I"M KOREAN TOO!!!

dude don't do that thing - use the stupid voltage crap

just right away right now use it for battery

lol i broke my ibook g4 that way in korea TOO LOL

ok you need the korean voltage thingy... just go to the apple store in korea it's somewhere in gangnam in seoul

or if you want i can just ship you one of mine i have ttwo

3. mikedurkee thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmmm

hey i just plugged in the adaptor without the voltage thing...my computers fine.... does it die over time? or does it just die right off the bat?

4. ebayhelp macrumors member

No my ibook g4 adapter was burning inside but at the time i didnt notice it (korea is hot during the summer)

Then my mom just walked past it and kinda bumped into it. IT WAS ALL melted inside

5. mikedurkee thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ****

oh ****.. so was it your adaptor burnt or was it your computer that fried up? and how long did it take to die? did you lose all your **** on your computer permenantly???

6. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

The adapter with the MBP is a Universal Voltage (i.e. 100 to 240 Volt, 50/60 Cycle). South Korea uses 220V/60 Cycle with Type C and F Type Round Plugs vice the spade type US Plugs. So an power/voltage adapter is not really necessary but what is necessary and would make life easier is to get the proper US to Korean Plug Adapter. Depending upon where you are staying like a hotel they sometimes offer 110 and 220 plugs. See this link and look for Korea, South. This may help you identify what you are looking for. Hope this helps!

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Bill......:apple: