voltage converter to be used in Europe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by makintosh, Aug 4, 2008.

1. makintosh macrumors newbie

I will be taking my iMac to Europe. What kind of plug or voltage converter should I buy, has anyone had a similar experience, or any suggestions where to go? Mostly, I'm worried about buying a wrong converter and damaging the computer.

Thank you

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

you don't need a voltage converter, all macs are 110-250v You just need the correct plug adapter.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most iMacs have switching power supplies, however some early flat panels and those from 2006 don't. I would suggest searching Apple's support pages just to make sure. Then all you would need is the appropriate cable with the right plugs to work in the different EU sockets.

TEG

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What about a MacBook Pro bought last Tuesday?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All the Notebooks have switching power supplies, as they are expected to travel. However, I recall threads in this forum regarding a person at a US Military base in the UK who purchased an iMac, but ended up frying the power supply because either it was purchased in the UK and the house had US power, or visa-versa.

TEG

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Reminds me when I was stationed in Germany in the mid 80s. I had to carry this 20-pound converter everywhere I went to use my razor. And then when I got married, I had to take it on my honeymoon so my new wife could use the hair dryer.
    I wish that stuff was dual voltage back then.