Voltage Converter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmeed, Sep 25, 2015.

1. nmeed macrumors 6502

I'm going to be traveling overseas and I am a bit OCD when it comes to electricity. I realize the Macbook's AC adapter can handle 220V but call me crazy, I would rather run it on 110v. My question is if the following converter would be able to handle the 13in MBPr on a consistent and constant basis. Could it in any way be harmful? Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/Foreign-Voltage-Converter-Radio-273-1426/dp/B0035Y6W7I

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

That thing will certainly work, but it is absolutely 100% unnecessary. If anything, it causes more risks to your laptop using that step down converter than just plugging your Macbook's adapter into the mains as normal with nothing but a plug adapter.

I would strongly recommend *against* using that with your MBP. It's a total waste of money and your MBP will be perfectly happy with 220 V - the charger is universal. The same one that you have in the US is the same one that anyone in the UK or the rest of Europe has. They come out of the same factory, they just have a different cable and duckhead supplied with them. They're otherwise literally identical.

3. nmeed thread starter macrumors 6502

Consider me convinced. Would it make a difference whether I use Apple's universal adapter package to change the head supplied or just get a cheap plug adapter? I watch my battery's health in coconutBattery like a hawk...I don't want to use something and then have my health get messed up.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The converter is built right in. You don't need to buy anything.

Yes, you are crazy. :p

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It won't make a monicker of difference on your battery health. Neither does your watching it like a hawk will.

The batteries are meant to be used, not meant to be babied. No matter how much you try and take care of it, it'll still die within 3-5 years (more if you're lucky) from the date of purchase, that's how long LiPo batteries last and that's that. No amount of fussing will change that.

May I suggest you use your time for doing something more productive than running coconut battery. In fact I suggest you delete it, it only feeds your OCD over something you have abso-frickin'-lutely no control over.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

If that doesn't convince you, look at the charger itself. There's a sticker on it with all the regulatory symbols. And mine is clearly marked "Input: 100-240V". It's right there are on the charger itself. All you need is the correct "duck head" to plug into the appropriate wall outlet.

7. nmeed, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

nmeed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help guys. Just to clarify, I don't really sit and watch coconutBattery like it's a movie. I open it a few times a day just to check the health. It at most consumes 15 seconds of my time. When I first got it my Mac the battery health was at 102% and now it's at 100%, I was kind of bummed about that and it's only had 4 cycles on it. The only reason I have had these ideas is because some family members have their iPhone battery health still at 102% whereas mine seems to dance between 80-90% so it kind of made me wonder if I was doing something wrong and trying to avoid any possible thing that might be detrimental to the battery's health. Thanks for the replies! :D

Come to think of it what started me on this or at least led me further down the road is that I had been using the Apple charger with my iPhone 6 for a while. Then something came up and for a few days I used this other charger, it was a legit Huawei. For the past months prior to that the health of my battery was at 97%. Then after I used it I checked and it was down to 93%. That's when the idea clicked in my brain that dang, maybe the adapters play a role in the health of the battery and I just ran with it.