Voltaic Dramatically Increases Video Size?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Alscott, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Alscott macrumors newbie

Hello, again.

So I am using the Voltaic demo to convert AVCHD videos from my Canon HF100 because I don't have iMovie 08. Well, how come when ever I convert a video file it increases the video size by about 8 times? On the very lowest setting for the camera, and 8 second video is 83MB big after converting it to .mov with Voltaic. This can't do.

Why the heck dose it do that? I want to be able to upload the videos onto the internet, but it will take about 45 minutes for me to upload an 8 second video. What's going on? How do people I see keep the video size so low compared to this? People on Vimeo upload videos that are like 1 minute and are like 20MB. Would just using iMovie 08 fix this?

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know much about camcorders, this is my first HD one. Slowly but surly, I am getting there, lol.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

What codec is it converting to? That sounds about right if you're converting to DV or the Apple Intermediate format.

Remember, your final video is not going to be the same size. Once you have the video edited the way you want, you'll re-export it back to H.264 ( or whatever is appropriate for Vimeo ) and it will shrink down the the size you are thinking of.

Good luck

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the world of AVCHD. This happens even in iMovie and Final Cut because the AVCHD clips must be converted to Apple intermediate codec (AIC) so your editor can work with it. AVCHD is a extremely processor intensive codec so apple decides that it is best to convert it so it is easier to work with.

When you upload videos to vimeo, it is best to convert your video into a compressed codec i.e. H.264.

I usually make my video, then export h.264 set on medium quality, then discard the converted clips and save a disk image of my raw clips.

4. Alscott thread starter macrumors newbie

What's codec? What's i.e. H.264.? How would I do this?

Thanks.

5. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

6. Alscott thread starter macrumors newbie

You could have just told me to google, no need to be rude.

7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Ha ha sorry, I saw it on Diggnation and was just dying to use it.

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

Alscott. Sorry if what he wrote was rude, I think you'll find we're all mostly a good natured bunch who might give you a friendly jab once in awhile for not reading the instructions. :)

Don't worry, we all had to learn this stuff just like you... I always tell my story here of doing my wedding video with Final Cut Express having no previous editing experience ( just a CS degree with a fine arts minor from college, which means exactly zero in the editing world. )

Read as much as you possibly can and do every tutorial that Apple provides. There's a considerable amount of stuff out there for exactly what you want to do.

If I were you , I would spring for iLife, BTW. It's not that expensive and it would simplify your workflow a lot. Sounds like iMovie 08 is exactly what you want to end up with anyway. I don't know how well that works with Vimeo, but I bet if you google for "Vimeo imovie 08" you'd get alot of help.

Good luck!